Experience with EHX Superego+

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by animus.terry005, Feb 27, 2018.

1. I have been eyeballing this pedal for while, and I'm having a hard time finding anyone who uses it with bass.
    I like that I'll be able to use it for multiple instruments (acoustic guitars, electric, whatever else) but I just want to be sure this pedal will have no issues working with 5, 6 and 7 string basses, in a variety of dropped tunings, before I order one.

Any experiences anyone is willing to share would be great!

2. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    animus.terry005 likes this.
  3. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    I use it with my 6-string Ibanez and have not experienced a single issue with the pedal itself: it holds the lowest and highest without issue and the built-in effects actually hold up pretty well, with only some starting to muddy in the low end. The whole line (HOG-Freeze-Superego) is well known for their bass-friendliness and so you won't encounter any issues.

It is honestly so versatile that it has been shoving out my HoG2 more and more. It is just an incredibly reliable pedal and is already on my mini-board (traveling board with only the "must-have" pedals). The list price is worth the investment but it is too much pedal for most and so comes up on sale often (I got mine for $200cdn!).

animus.terry005 and saltydude like this.
  4. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    not yet. i have had an ordinary Super Ego and i've just traded it for a Disaster Area midi-controller for my Strymons. Later i would buy a Plus. But for now i am broke.

5. This is nice to hear. I have seen the superego+ around on YouTube and really liked the sound, but I just never pulled the trigger.
    The recent purchase of an Ibanez fretless 6 got me itching for this pedal again.. Probably won't need the glissando effect with the fretless, but I feel like the other effects will further my fun with what I already consider to be a spacy sounding instrument.

Being and Bass likes this.
  6. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    It is my secret weapon pedal, but I play some messed up music.

Expect a steep learning curve to bang out one or two sounds but it is worth it. And abuse the multi-effects and effects loop as much as possible!

warrplayer likes this.
  7. Haha, yea. I've been watching videos and reading whatever I can find. Definitely looks like it's going to be a pain to learn. Should be fun, though!

Being and Bass likes this.
  8. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Just got one...pretty fun so far!

9. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    I have one and while I’m primarily a 4 string player my favorite way to use it is with a bass VI (not exactly the 6 string use you were hoping for). I love it, AND it is a passable stand alone multi-effect if you need one for a small board.

dukeorock likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021