Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Experience with Gator Rolling Rack Case?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockindoc, Jan 30, 2005.

1. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Anybody own one of these? How sturdy are the wheels and telescoping handle?

2. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I have one--I found it to be very tough and the handle never gave me the slightest problem in about a year of gigging 4 times a month or so. I'm not using it at the moment though, because really it's pretty big--a four space rack plus the roller turns out to be closer to a five or a six space rack in size. I switched to a three space bag which is not as sturdy but fits' the back of my car better

I liked the gator though and it was more than tough enough for the kind of back of the car 4-6 times a month gigging I do

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    i bought my 6 space roller off of a guy on here. I play for school bands in addition to bands outside of the building. It has survived many trips and feels sturdy. The wheels are handy when i need to go from a paved parking lot into a school or other building. I have my rack full-Carvin DCM2000 power amp, and 3 pres. I like having the wheels b/c if i had to carry this thing-i would buy a cart for it. :) That's all

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I have an 8 space one, and have mixed feelings. The case is really solid, I like it better than the similar SKB's. The covers stay super tight, the wheels are good, it has a nice little glorified power strip built in.

BUT...... Well, the handle completely pulled out of the case leaving the telescoping handle in my hand while the rack case full of expensive and delicate equipment went tumbling. Also, the master AC cord that comes out of the back, the socket was really loosely connected. And, the mounting holes in the screw strip were misdrilled enough so that its a pain in the butt to screw gear into it.

To Gators credit they replaced it immediately and sent me a brand new case. The only problem with this case is the misdrilled holes still, which is annoying as hell.

Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Jake Wolf
    www.jakewolfmusic.com

5. We had one at the church I was playing at. The hardward was falling apart and it warped pretty badly.

6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Well, DAN here is notorius for destroying gear, so his opinion is a little skewed...............

Just kidding Dan. It was great to see you at NAMM, bassquake was really nice. Maybe we'll get more of a chance to hang next time.

Jake

7. Rockland Eagle

Rockland Eagle

Jan 29, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Ok, I'm looking for a rack for my new Crown XLS4002, and this one caught my eye. Does anyone know if it will fit in this rack? The amp has rear mounting rails that extend off the back panel of the amp, and they are supposed to be secured to the back of the rack. They are 14.5" oc from the front ears of the amp. (EDIT: oh jeez, I think I just figured it out: I need to attach rack ears to the back of the amp, and that will match up with the rear rails in the rack. Right?)

The mfr. site says it's deep enough for my amp, so my question: is this Gator rolling rack set up for this type of amp, or not? Also, the amp is 25 lbs., is the rack going to fall apart?

Thanks in advance,

JC
    Austin, TX

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    The gator does have rear rails that you could attach the rear mounts to. Also-IIRC, my DCM2000 is a solid 38-40 pounds, and then i also have 3 pres [they're pretty light] and have put extension cords along with a tool bag-i think it had a solid 60-70 pounds worth of stuff inside and it held up fine. The only thing i am considering is reinforcing the front aluminum thing that is around the lip since it has bent just enough to make me consider reinforcing it. That's all