Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Experience with IB program?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Timbo, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Hiya guys!

I'm calling on all people here have had any experience with the IB program. I am joining it next year as a freshmen, and want to know what your experiences with it were, positive? negative? Any suggested classes?

Also I plan to join IB band, possibly higher level IB band, any experiences with that? Any and all information from y'all would be greatly appreciated..

:bassist:

2. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    Wow, there's an IB band?

I was in full IB for grade 10, then partial IB for Grade 11 and then normal classes for grade 12. The first year was crazy. I was NOT use to the change in work load. I didnt handle it so well and became stressed so I decided to take partial instead. Life got better, when I realized this program isnt right for me and dropped out completely.

If I had continued in the IB program, I dont think I would have been accepted into university. I didnt get the best marks in IB, I would be in the bottom half of the class at 60% or so. I would average at about 70% after they brought my grades up (standarized), to what they think we would have got if we were in regular classes.

I recommend Spanish IB, Math IB, Chem IB and Bio IB. Spanish IB was a lot of fun since I had a great teacher. Math IB was useful it's just taught at a faster pace. We had higher level chem IB a our school and I like it but then again, I like chem. Bio is just like regular bio but with more material. We didnt have Band IB at our school so I cant comment on that.

Personally, I didnt like it, but I encourage you to find out for yourself. If you dont like it, you could always just drop in. I found it useless, unless you plan on skipping first year university, which I also strongly do not recommend doing.

3. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I'm going for the IB diploma which basically means all my classes are IB... :bawl:

4. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    That's what I was going for, but things happen.. :p

5. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah, I joined it under the though of "Hey if I can handle this, might aswell.. If not just drop down to certificates."

6. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    Just make sure the school wont kick you out when/if you decided to drop it completely. There was only 4 IB schools in my city and spaces was in high demand. If you didnt live in the area and weren't in IB, they would make you tranfers to another school.

7. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah they would kick me out if I dropped it completely because I had to transfer districts. ( It's rediculous the high school for which the district I am is 10 miles away, but the one I had to transfer into is within walking distance. :eyebrow: ) And they gave my transfer on the basis that I will be taking IB courses.

8. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    In that case, study hard and try to do all your homework. Except for math, that's just impossible, so do every 3rd one.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Both of my daughters are in the IB program. My eldest (and a fretless bass player) has one more year to go. She regularly has 1-3 hours of homework a night. Her younger sister (drummer) is in pre IB. She has roughly 1-2 hours homework a night.

A lot of students see their grades take a hit when they go to the IB program because the work load is steep and the expectations high. They usually recover part way through the first year.

Good prep for university. Good luck and stick it out. It's an excellent program that is highly regarded by universities.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Jade.....which high school in YYC are you at? We used to live in Braeside.

11. cbhm

cbhm

Apr 4, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Hey I'm a student studying in an international school in Hong Kong. My school uses the IB programme for grade 11 and 12. Right now, I have just finished my first year of IB. I took Higher Chemestry, Maths and Chinese B. My standards were English A1, Music and History. Honestly, I don't find the IB particularly bad. The Extended Essay and the coursework we have to do is pretty bad but apart from that, its really not that bad. Hope you stick with it, IB students (at least from my school) seem to go to quite respectable universities. Stick with it and good luck! :) ;)

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Good luck with program, CBHM. What are you doing your extended essay on? Which school in HKG?

13. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i went through 4 years of it when i was in High School. i failed World History and dropped down to college prep level to retake that class. wow, what a difference! in college prep i think i missed a total of 4 questions in the entire class.

IB is a great program. if you can get through that...you will be able to handle just about anything college throws at ya. good luck and study hard it is very rewarding.

14. I did the whole IB thing from grade 10 onwards. It was the only way for me to stay in the US with my Family and still go to University here in Germany.
    It was a ton of work and very fast paced and required quite a few sleepless nights, especially in the last year. If you're a guy that can work hard and still enjoy certain subjects it shouldn't be too bad. I have always enjoyed literature and in IB you get to do things most people don't do until Uni and I had a great time because of it. Other subjects, such as History and Bio are very thorough and require a lot of work but were very fascinating at times and terrible at others. Math, well, unless you're a real math person, will be a pain and something that one just needs to get done(it is possible). Theory of Knowledge is a peculiar subject, it's basically an introduction to Philosophy and covers pretty much all the TOK oriented(the head, Ms. Tookey, apparently developed it) and while it was lotsa work(Descartes, Plato and Kuhn all in one day sometimes) I now see that it helped a lot as these are all concepts which become very important in Uni(if you're studying a phil. subject as I am).
    IB, when done as a full program with Diploma, will push you to the very edge and often beyond your scholarly abilities. It requires stamina and you will build up quite a bit of it as well. I can honestly say I wouldn't be the person I am were it not for IB and I'm now very glad I managed to make it through with pretty good grades. You will work your ass off, you will think that it can't all be done and you will learn that you can get it done sacrificing sleep and a bit of your temporary sanity.
    The words to describe it best came from my counsellor: "IB is something you want to be from, not in".

15. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I just happen to be a real math person. :)
    Just finished my Algebra II final. ( 8th grade ). Yay.
    :bassist:

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    FYI....you IB guys...

My daughter, who is doing her first year in the IB program, is learning bass to count for her C.A.S. hours. And, since dad is a semipro bass player, the school allowed me to be her teacher. She will, however, have to demonstrate her progress to the head of the music department.

She started in October on a borrowed Aria Pro 2 fretted bass, which she quickly put down and switched to my Precision bodied/fretless Jazz necked bass. I picked up a great fretted bass in March, partically to cure my GAS for a Sadowsky, but also for her to have a fretted bass to work with. The bass is a Levinson Blade jazz clone. Anyhow...she is progressing very fast and has three great basses at her disposal along with all of my gear.

17. Any academically challenging program is great IMO. It definitely is a ton of work. I didn't take it in high school as it would have been over an hour and a half to commute each way to the nearest school that offered it.

Anyway, I have one good friend and I knew a couple of guys when I was doing my undergraduate degree that had taken the full IB diploma in high school. My observations were that off the bat these kids had a definite head start on a lot of the material. They were able to get transfer credits for a few courses as well. After first year, the top students who hadn't done IB had caught up to them. One guy had failed out, probably because his parents weren't there to force him to do the work, because having done a full IB diploma, he is certainly smart enough to pass first year engineering. At least one would think so.

18. cbhm

cbhm

Apr 4, 2003
    Hong Kong
    I go to Chinese International School in Hong Kong. Our school is very good in giving us time to do our EE's and such. I'm doing mine on music. Thanks. Good luck to all IB people on here.