1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Experience with KnE bodies ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyRay, Apr 6, 2009.

1. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I'm not in any rush to assemble a parts bass, but I found their site and the prices seem right. Here's a link:
    http://www.kneguitars.com/bass_bod.php

They were also recommended on the ReRanch forums as being better than Mighty Mite and on par with bodies costing 40-50$ more.

Since ReRanch focuses on guitar, I couldn't find a lot of info on the KnE bass bodies. The site is also not very helpful.

Will a Fender neck fit right in (standard 21 frets, nothing fancy) or will it necessecitate some work due to loose tolerances ? I know it should, but sometimes things aren't rosy when it comes to replacement parts. Or even an SX one* ?

Is the wood good quality (weight, overall appearance, initial prep/sanding) ? This will be for a nitro solid color finish (Olympic White or Fiesta Red), so imperfections, filler and grain uglyness will be fine. I might even go the poplar route since I don't believe in tonewoods as far as the body is concerned** and it is a good bit cheaper. Nicks and gouges are fine for me, so even if it is soft, I don't have a problem with this. I played a basswood bass for years and it was a solid 8 when I sold it.

*The reason I'm not going the "buy SX/a used bass route" is because I don't want to deal with stripping poly.
    **No discussion about this, please.