Experience with MIJ or CIJ 90s-02 Fender Jazz Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rabbitfighter, Apr 22, 2020.

1. rabbitfighter

rabbitfighter

Jul 16, 2019
    I have heard lots of people talk about how these are as close to the neck feel and general playability of their original 60s jazz basses.

Can anyone confirm or deny these types of statements from their own experiences?

Ideally, I would like an actual '60s jazz bass or Custom Shop '64, but it's a biiiittttt out of my price range currently. Trying to get as close to that real nice neck feel as possible.

Thanks!

2. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Couple Japan '62RI Jazzes here now. Several early 60's Jazzes way back in the day, so I can only compare by memory how they felt and played. The Japan ones are very nicely built and (to me) are somewhat reminiscent of the genuine article, feel-wise. But they don't strike me as feeling exactly the same. I think the 80's Fender USA RI's were closer.

That said, the 2002 MIM Fender FSR Burgundy Mist Jazz bass totally nails it for me. I almost can't believe how much it feels like the real thing. Apart from the slab fret board, it's like Fender took a '64 Jazz and cloned it, then painted it in a custom color, complete with the obligatory matching headstock. The best news?.....with some patience they can be had for ~ $700. Key word, "patience" because I don't think they built very many.

Another pretty good choice might be a Fender Highway 1. Mine feels a lot like an old Jazz. Again, not an expensive bass at all.

Good luck with your quest!

rabbitfighter likes this.
  3. rabbitfighter

rabbitfighter

Jul 16, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. For the last hour, I have been looking into the E series '80s RI MIJ jazz basses. Found one G series that looks nice, but a tidge out of the price range.

Did a quick search and not seeing ANY 2002 MIMs anywhere.

I will have to look into the Highway Ones. Kinda stuck on Candy Apple Red (as of the past year or so), not looking like they made them in that color from what I am seeing so far?

The quest rages on !

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I agree with Templar.
    I've also had the MIM 60's RI in burgundy mist and it had all the same tone as the US 62RI's I had.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021