1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Experience with string emporium?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bassplayer1836, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Bassplayer1836

Bassplayer1836

Feb 24, 2019
    I am looking for a new bass and they seemed to have a lot of good basses but I haven’t heard of them. Anybody bought a bass from them?

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Mgaisbacher and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  3. Bought a Thompson hybrid from them about a year ago excellent bass, bassicly a Shen good service too

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    They sell quality products. The owner is a symphony bassist. Wan Bernadel and Rogeri model basses are very good for the money IME, and the Thompsons have good reviews.

MDrost1 and Vinny Vincenzo like this.
  5. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    NYC
    I've had students bring in plys and hybrids and I think they are excellent for the money, and I am told they are nice to deal with. The hybrid I played was particularly nice sounding for the price.

Vinny Vincenzo likes this.
  6. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    They're a very good company to deal with, in my opinion. Steve stands behind what he sells. If you have to buy a new bass sight unseen, they are an excellent choice.

johnny_bolt and salcott like this.
  7. Cheapest place to get Thomastik strings.

8. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    Troy K's advice to read the "Beginner's Guide....." is excellent. The guide even mentions some names. I met String Emporium's Steve Koscica in the presence of several Wan Bernadel's being set-up at Jon Peterson's shop. I had brought my bass in for some adjustments and was overjoyed that I got to just "hang out". Jon always had a pot of coffee and clean cups available. I played a Wan Bernadel or two and for a new instrument I was impressed with its sound. Steve's also a jazz player by the way and he was showing off a bit demonstrating a fast, pizz blues tune.

A couple of years later I was in the market for an inexpensive ply or hybrid as an outdoor bass. I remembered Jon remarking about the good quality of the instruments and Steve's attention to the business end of things. I later bought a Thompson RM 200 labeled 2012. I can alternate my two instruments for gigs and barely notice a difference. My other bass is carved and over 50 years sold.

There were some excellent String Emporium reviews here years ago. Reviews so good that one of the "frequent" posters to TB was convinced they were fake or put up jobs. This poster whined and moaned over and over in several posts before someone either set him straight or the mods just pulled the thread. My String Emporium experience has been excellent.

9. Same here.!

10. Never bought a bass there but I buy strings & other accessories from them. I usually like to check them or Quantum if I'm ordering online, and I branch out from there. String Emporium has been good in the past; I called them once and they were friendly on the phone too.

Vinny Vincenzo likes this.
  11. TBD...
    Have a RM200 order in transaction as of now.

Fingers crossed, I let y’all know how it turns out.

12. xyloeye

xyloeye

Sep 30, 2005
    Anacortes, WA
    Great company. Steve's really good to work with.

13. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I just bought a used plywood Thompson today. It was purchased 3 tears ago from Steve and just sat looking pretty in a studio. It is sweet, seems well made and sounds very nice.
    thompson.jpg

14. The results of my earlier post :

As an owner of a new Thompson RM200 purchased this month from String Emporium, here’s my experience.

Believe me when I say I’ve done my best due diligence in researching new manufacture basses in the 3K and under range.

Thompson basses represent astounding value for money!

Moreover, and of equal importance, the owner of SE Steve Koscica is a genuinely honest bassist/businessman who truly cares about his customers and their satisfaction.
    His after sale attention was exemplary!

I would encourage anyone looking for a bass in this price range to consider String Emporium in their search.

15. Highly recommend, their website is also very informative. Great prices as well and their products are carefully selected.

16. mrgoodbass

mrgoodbass Supporting Member

May 9, 2006
    California
    Thumbs up

Sam Reese likes this.
  17. Always good. Steve (the owner) is a professional bassist and knows his stuff. I've never been disappointed!

18. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019
    String Emporium is great!

19. almal

almal

Aug 28, 2006
    Kansas City
    I called String Emporium a couple of weeks ago and Steve told me about the Audition basses - a new line that's made in Romania to really compete in professional auditions, made in consultation with teachers and modeled after the actual basses that are winning folks into symphony jobs.

Has anyone had direct experiences playing these basses? He was clearly really excited about them, but wondering if anyone has had hands on them to comment. They are listed at $8500.

https://www.stringemporium.com/audition-bass.htm

20. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    I bought a Rogeri here on TB and I think it's an excellent sounding instrument. The quality of the fittings (tuners, bridge, fingerboard etc) is excellent too. I'm not an orchestral musician so I have no section experience with this bass (well, very little arco experience with it, period) but I do like it a lot for what I do. It sounds great and is loud compared to other basses. Hope that helps a little!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    almal likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021