Experience with the Boss GT-6b???????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by flaghard, Nov 14, 2004.

1. flaghard

Oct 17, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    :help: i want to buy the boss effects processor but can anyone who has it or played tell me what it does and the difference between a multi effects pedal and an effects processor???

any help would be awsome

flaghard :help:
  2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    It does a lot.

"pedal" usually means "floor"

"processor" usually means rackmount.

FWIW, I just did a quick search for "GT-6B" and I came up with at least 220 threads that mention the Boss GT-6B......
  3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Yep, it basically runs the bass and guitar algorithims developed in the rackmount (discontinued) Boss VF-1. The GT-6 is the guitar version. Both units are rather complicated to use, and difficult to edit on the fly during live use.

I repeat...try the search function and you'll find a ton of information that will be very useful to you. :)
  4. Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    yeah i think in the past few months alone there has been at least 4-5 threads alone like this.
  5. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I've had mine for a couple of months now and for what I need, it's a great multi-pedal. Programming it is a breeze. I still struggle whith the fine tuning of certain effects and setting lows, mids, highs and other freqency settings. I guess I need to learn frequency bandwidths in order to understand this more :meh: Other than that, it's very easy to program and get some nice sounds on the fly.
  6. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I'll tell you my failure story with my GT-6B (fortunately sold last saturday). I had an old BOSS ME-8B bass effects pedalboard (the plastic one in black and yellow). It had lots of fantastic effects on it and was ok for me. Some of them (the waveshape synth bass and T-Wah) were the greatest I ever tried. In a false GAS episode I felt the "need" to have the 6B. Having tried it at a music store I decided to do it. Sold my ME8B and got a 6B. I began using it and during the first week I ran into its limitations. All of them were sound related. And the advantages where all related to control and such "additional values" of the GT-6B but had nothing to do with its sound. So here's my personal evaluation on it:

The pros:
    - Infinite control capabilities with the expresion pedal/switch and CTL pedal
    - Nice sound-on-sound for overdubbing
    - Nice harmonizer
    - Nice auto-slap (although no slap sound out of it, but weird -nice- sounding as an auto-phraser)
    - Nice to have patches named instead of having to remember numbers

The cons:
    - Doesn't sound up to its predecessor (the ME-8B)
    - Absolutely unusable synth bass
    - Absolutely unusable T-Wah (can't mix it with dry signal -UNFORGIVABLE!-)
    - Only usable compressor is the Boss Comp model (the same that comes in the ME-8B)
    - Only usable distortion is the Boss Bass Overdrive (the same that comes in the ME-8B)
    - Sh*tty EQ (3 band parametric is simply not enough -the pre-historic Korg A4 Bass had a 6 band parametric EQ-)
    - No expansion possibilities for the sampler (sound-on-sound) via SmartMedia or something (even my $150 Zoom 708II has this). Also volatile memory as soon as you change patch. UNFORGIVABLE in a unit this expensive!

So, despite the nice new features, the unit DOES NOT SOUND GOOD AT ALL!!!! And if it doesn't sound ok, it's not worth it just for these extra toys it has (first things first). ME-8B anybody? I'm looking for one in reasonably good shape.

Good luck...