1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Experience with Truetone/Visual Sound VS-XO?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by brocket, Dec 9, 2020.

1. brocket

brocket

Sep 12, 2017
    Coastal NC
    The feature set and price ($115/$180) for a VS-XO are pretty intriguing, and on paper, it looks like it would tick the boxes I'm looking for in a drive pedal. I've only heard guitar reviews of it, and it seems like a character/gain level I'm looking for. My concern is with low end loss. Truetone's item page says it works well for bass (but why would you not say that?), and the clean blend and bass switch/knob look like it would retain the low end well.

Does anyone have hands-on experience with it that could speak to that?

Thanks!

On a similar note, I did recently watch a JHS live episode with Roy Mitchell-Cardenas (my favorite!) and he addressed the loss of low end from pedals. His solution- an EQ pedal to boost back the lows that were cut! Sure, but that adds complexity (pedal board space, additional patch and power cables, tapping two footswitches for one tone, etc.) and cost, and if I don't have to do that...

2. Konza

Konza

Jun 16, 2013
    Did you get one? If so, how's it working out for you?

3. brocket

brocket

Sep 12, 2017
    Coastal NC
    Not yet since I haven't been playing, but it's still #1 on my list. I did look into what circuits the pedal uses. The right side is a Tube Screamer circuit, and with the bass settings and clean blend, losing low end shouldn't be an issue. The left side is a Nobels ODR-1 circuit which has good reviews here on Talkbass. That, along with the Bass knob, make me feel pretty good about it not cutting lows. I was planning on posting a review when I eventually get it and spend some time with it.

Konza likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021