Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Experience with Tyler or Yamaha TRB Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jester, Nov 29, 2004.

1. I've really enjoyed Abe Laboriel lately and I've noticed that he's been using a signature Tyler bass, his own of course, and a Yamaha TRB 5PII. The Yamaha looks really nice, to me, and has individual bridges for each string along with Piezos in those bridges, and a ebony fingerboard. I prefer rosewood fingerboards to maple but I've never played an ebony fingerboard. Any thoughts on the ebony?

Does anyone know anything about either of these basses?

2. Dont know much about Tylers other than they arent made any more.Rex Brown used them to record some of Vulgar Display Of Power(Pantera).They are apparently very sort after.As for the Yamahas I assume you are talking about the newer version of the TRBIIp.Used to own the older version with a single piece bridge.Still had piezos and ebony board.Ebony is my wood for boards man.Very hard like maple but retains some mids like rosewood.Is also very smooth under fingers and looks great.The only other wood that is as good for boards is wenge(IMO).I have two basses.One is a custom built 5 string with maccassar ebony board and the other is a Warwick Thumb NT 6 with a wenge board.
    To answer your other question yeah the Yammies are great basses.Bit on the heavy side but I personally like that!

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Tyler's are still built, but in small batch's and not all the time.

Check with Corey at Rock City, he's the only one I know of that sells Tyler's. You can find them used, there was one on bassgear just this past week. The Yamaha will be much cheaper!

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I don't have any experience with Tyler's, but my bass teacher has a Yamaha TRB series (old model). One thing I like about it is the string spacing (he's got a 6 string Yamaha). They sound good, especially for a bass with soapbar pickups. I'd recommend them over most six string, but with a 5'er you have more options that I would choose over the TRB series.