Experienced Aguilar DB 680 users.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theJello, Sep 5, 2000.

1. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I just bought an Aguilar 680 and 728 power amp.

It was just my luck that the power amp was defective.
    (my sm-900 was screwed up when I bought that 6 years ago)

The volume control was not working properly on the 728. I sent it off to be fixed and just got it back on Friday. It still has the same defect. This is very frustrating to say the least. I already emailed the tech guy and hopefully he will get back with me soon and tell me what is going on.

My question is about the DB 680. Its concerning distorting the input of the power amp. I will start by telling you the exact setting on the preamp.

Passive switch on.- I have a Curbow petite with bartolini 18 volt electronic.(im assuming this is correct since im not distorting the input)

Gain- 11 oclock
    Bass resonance switch- no boost
    Bass- 2 oclock
    Midrange 1- 200hz 6db. bandwith in middle
    Midrange 2- 1300hz 3db. bandwith in middle
    Treble- flat(no enhancement from switch.

Here is my problem.(at least what I think might be a problem) Like I said before, I am distorting the input of the poweramp if the master volume on the preamp is above 9 oclock.(The manual says 12 oclock is a normal position for this control) I think the settings on the preamp are not extreme. I also play with a very light touch. I have to turn up the power amp more than I would think to compensate.
    Considering this thing is 400 watts tube.

So, to all that are familiar with this gear, is this normal?
    I might just be stupid. The main reason Im concerned is because the power amp is already having problems. Who knows what else is wrong with it.

-thanks for any help.

[Edited by theJello on 09-05-2000 at 11:42 AM]
  2. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    I guess I should tell you the problem the power amp is having.

When the volume control is in full counter clockwise position there is still sound coming from the speakers.

Now, as I rotate the volume control clockwise the volume dips to 0 at about 8 oclock then come back in again as I keep rotating clockwise. Strange huh? Sounds like a faulty pot to me. It doesnt really pertain to my question above but I thought you should know.

[Edited by theJello on 09-05-2000 at 11:38 AM]
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have had a similiar situation occur - it has been due to the fact that i was overdriving the input of the preamp - my 8 string is 18 volt, with a music man pickup, and the output is HOT. try turning the volume down on your bass to see if it goes away, and if so, then try using the active input setting instead of the passive setting. i think that is your problem. in fact, just try using the active setting - that might solve the problem.

as for the power amp problem, why don't you try emailing dave boonshoft at aguilar? he's good about responding to email, in my experience. i'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

good luck.
  4. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Hey thanks for the help John.
    I think you nailed the problem. I went home at lunch and switched to active mode and it worked really well.

I had thought that might be the problem.
    I could use the passive input on my SM-900 so I assumed
    I could do the same with the 680. I guess the 680
    is just alot more sensitive. In any case, thanks.

Btw, I saw Tower of Power on Sunday. I thought I read
    somewhere that Rocco was playing Conklins now. He was playing a Precision as far as I could tell. Unless his Conklin looks like a Precision.
    Just wondering if you knew.

Peace Out
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Considering all the great stuff I hear about Aguilar it seems strange you would have so many problems with their equipment and service. I hope you get everything sorted out quickly so you can play your new rig.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    his conklin has a p-j setup. he may not have it because it is being used to setup the factory for the production of the instruments. i don't know, though, maybe he just wanted to play another instrument.

7. Alex Aguilar modded one of my amps and was a genuinely nice, patient individual. Maybe speak with Alex instead of Dave.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm just curious. Why were you running an 18-volt active bass into a passive input?
  9. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    The reason I was running in the passive input is because most amp manufacturers recommend this.(at least ones I have owned) Swr manuels points this out specifically. This exact same bass I was using with my Sm-900 in the passive input. It had no distortion problems. The aguilar manuel said 9 times out of 10 you will use the passive input. I assumed this was correct considering I had no problems with the sm-900.