Experienced users...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by devin turner, Aug 3, 2019.

1. devin turner

devin turner

Aug 3, 2019
    Hi all, FNG here.

I currently own a Cirrus bxp 4, and I'm experiencing a lot of frustration trying to figure out what is wrong with it. I had an incident a while back where I tried to plug my instrument cable into the input jack of the bass, and it got stuck about half way and wouldn't go in any further.

thought that was pretty odd, so I attempted (successfully) to force it the rest of the way in. When I turned on my amp to play... nothing. I tried to open it up to troubleshoot, but there's one bad ass control board inside that I don't even want to attempt to mess with for risk of further damage. I couldn't see any popped or burned solder connections, and as far as I could tell the there was nothing going on with the input jack.

I have already contacted Peavey once about the issue. Their service tech gave me a product number for a supposed replacement mother board and input jack, and told me to search the website.

it yielded zero results. I have scoured the web searching for these parts to no avail, and I'm ripping my hair out over it.

To be clear; my bass broke 8 months ago. I took it to a shop where it stayed for several months never hearing back from the shop owner until I was finally ready to just go and get it back. Peavey is dicking me around, and I really need my bass because I'm tired of borrowing my room mate's for shows and practice.

I thought it sort of a stretch to post on this site, but I'm at my wits end. If anybody could point me in the right direction that would be extremely cash money.

2. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    You may have had the tip of a jack plug stuck in there, they are hard to get out. Pushing it may have broken the jack socket which will need replacing.
    Can you take a pic?
    I'm assuming here that the battery is good?

3. Elusive1

Elusive1

Jun 21, 2018
    Singapore
    It's your only bass and you left it at a shop for months without hearing a single word from the shop owner? Wow. I'd never leave any of mine at a shop for more than one month without receiving at least one update. Well, at least now you know never to go back there

Welcome to TB

L Anthony, BooDoggie and Stumbo like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Have you tried your bass with another amp?

5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Let's talk about this.
    Have you found the reason why the cable got stuck halfway in?
    Did you feel something snap or something give way when you forced it in?

6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Take the thing apart!! Doesn’t sound like anyone is ducking you around other than you.

7. devin turner

devin turner

Aug 3, 2019

I didn't really have a choice in the matter. The shop is several towns away and I have no wheels atm. the guy who owns the shop is also a personal friend of my band mate's, so I was sort of relying on him to give me updates seeing as he insisted on taking the bass there. I know these aren't really good excuses for the way the matter was handled, but you're right. at least I know to never take it there again.

Charlzm likes this.
  8. devin turner

devin turner

Aug 3, 2019
    very helpful, thank you.

Charlzm likes this.
  9. devin turner

devin turner

Aug 3, 2019
    I did feel something give way when I forced it in, but when I pulled the panel off to check for damage there was nothing broken that I could see. it has active eq and active pickups, so it has this beast of a mother board that I suspect has the pots built into it.

10. The most likely thing is that the output jack needs to be replaced. It is probably a TRS barrel jack but some pictures would be helpful.

A good Switchcraft jack isn’t too expensive and it’s a quick solder job.

11. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Like Matt said, remove the output jack. Get another one. Hook it up. Start simple before assuming there's something wrong with the preamp etc......

12. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Welcome to TalkBass!

We should be able to provide better troubleshooting advice if you can post a few pictures of the inside of the control panel. The clearer and higher resolution the pictures are, the better. Also, if we knew what part of the world you're in we may be able to recommend a reputable tech who can help.

13. devin turner

devin turner

Aug 3, 2019
    I appreciate it guys. I will take some pictures later tonight and post them. Who knows, maybe I'll find something I overlooked before while I'm doing so.

singlemalt and RyanOh like this.
  14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    For future reference, forcing something that should work easily very often doesn't end well.

It seems unlikely you've messed up more than just the jack.

15. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Not a stretch -- you definitely came to the right place. If you can post pics and answer questions, someone here will figure it out for you. (I wish it could be me but, sorry, I got nothin'.)

singlemalt and Ghastly like this.
  16. Find another place to work on it. Should just be in the shop a week and not cost that much.

AudioTaper and Reedt2000 like this.
  17. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

I'm surprised nobody said it's the output jack!

Nonetheless, likely a simple replacement output jack that is a commodity item.

Pics would be fun.

AudioTaper likes this.
  18. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Only options I can think of is that either a wire way strayed into the jack and when you forced it the wire broke (Unlikely) or the jack itself broke.

Either way it's a good thing to troubleshoot on your own.

If a shop had any of my basses for more than a week I'd be looking for another shop.

AudioTaper likes this.
  19. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Did you try a different guitar cable or try the cable you forced on another instrument? Also just so you know, the input jack is separate from the pre amp board. If the cable is still good then most likely the input jack broke and/or a wire broke. It's a relatively cheap and easy fix.

20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

and you are correct! it's a stretch --- you messed up your output jack (and who knows what else) and now you want instant gratification. :laugh:

are you irish? if not, good luck! :thumbsup:

devin turner likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021