Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Experiences with buying a bass from someone in the VS as European?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Jul 27, 2004.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Well... may be this should be written in another part of the forum, but here's a shot.

I intend to buy a bass from someone (not a bass store for instance, just from somebody 'out there'. ;)) out of the VS and thus it has to be transported to Europe.

The only thing is.. from the European point of view, if there goes something wrong, you can't do anything by law or anything. Is it reliable to do so and just hope that everything goes ok? From trusting the seller he really sends the instrument in reality until the transport thing? Not meant to be insulting to selling Americans, but just wondering... I don't do this every day, so I want to make sure.

Anyone who did this before, please share you opinion!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's a small world and just like you want to get a bass from the US, others will also. Just like I have checked out bass stores in London for example. Bearing this in mind, a smart dealer will be honorable with you because bad news travels fast, especially if the dealer works on the internet! ;)

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Well that's true off course, but this isn't from a dealer. John-doe plays bass, doesn't like it, wants to sell it... and blackmails?
    Or am I a little stupid and have demons in my head? (well I have...but...harhar :D)

4. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130122

this sticky should be of assistance, don't worry, I've bought my bass and my amp from the web (and from 2 T'bers) and everything went smooth, always beware of extra customs fees at arrival and ensure the package, they get pretty beat up, but a nice and tight package filled with foam can be pretty safe. (at least my amp came in one piece, except a slight ding )

5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Wow... thanks for sharing man!

The last post in that topic assured me the most, quoting MJ5150:

I just completed another deal on TB. Never been ripped off yet.

The bass way to be safe is to just deal with the TB "family". No one gets ripped off here. If they do, there are enough of us around the country to track down the offender, and hang them from their toe nails.

-Mike

Ain't that great? I'm quite convinced of the honesty of us/you TBers (Let's say I'm one of you, off course*hug mode*) Bassplayers rule!

6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Yeah its pretty much a family because you can always check profiles and read their posting history, I only went with the last deal because the guy seemed to be a very serious person and posted very regularly with interesting subjects, don't think I'd be buying stuff from someone who joined last week, had no profile whatsoever and wrote stuff like " I juz bought a nu Foudeira aftr sellng my Rittar 'cause it scked but thiz 1 rulezz" :D

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Yeah coz dooz Fodeirahs suk Big Thime dja knowz. :D

You are right, that is a good argument!