Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Experiences with Dean Edge Q6, Spector Q6 Pro, Ibanez BTB406QM, and/or Schecter...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Stilleto Studio 6. They're all very reasonably priced at good ol' Steve's Music Store in Toronto (700-850 :D), and a good variety of them will probably be in stock in the next few weeks, what with xmas coming and all, but there's always the chance that, you know, they won't be seeing as how I won't be going up to T.O. until just after christmas. So can any of you folks share your experiences with any of the basses?

Playability -- how are these buggers to play? Are the necks finished at all? Do they have a really thick curvature (thick C as Fender Custom Shop puts it)? Are they nice and wide so you're not too cramped with tiny, tiny string spacing? Can you really whack it? They heavy? How's the balance?

If you folks could answer any of those questions at all, you'd be a big help! Thanks.

2. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I am a fan of the Ibanez BTB 406QM I think that bass dosent get the recognition it deserves.

They have good spacing, wider than the rest (I think so at least...)

They sound good, they are a bit Growly on the B string, but I like that sound.

They are VERY comfortable to play (for me at least)

They arent too heavy, but are 'average'

I think their neck is shaped like a planes wing, you know what I mean, thick on top, then thinner on the bottom, that makes it pretty comfortable to play.

So MY PERSONAL choice is the Ibanez.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Bumpity bump-bump, bump-bump!

Anyone else have something to contribute?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I finally got to play a Schecter Elite 5 today. Uggh. The B string was lifeless and floppy. I still have never seen a Studio model in person.

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I've got a spector q6. The B string is floppy. I don't like the pickups much, but don't want to spend $$ replacing them. The neck is finished, relatively easy on the hand for a 6 (i have small hands.) I'd shop around a bit.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I don't know about the Elites, but the Studio six has a 35" scale and shouldn't be either lifeless or floppy.

7. I hope the Studio 6 has a nice B. I got real bad GAS for one, and may have to "Buy before I try" on this one.:(

They look so awesome in the pics, and for the price they sound almost too good to be true.

[​IMG]

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Elite has a 35" scale. And FWIW, I have played a lot of low priced 35" scale basses that had lifeless sounding, floppy B strings.

9. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    Anyone try a Peavey Grind NTB 6? How would they compare to the basses listed?
    [​IMG]
    Features:

Neck through body
    24 frets
    35" scale
    Passive humbucking pickups
    Mahogany neck with maple stringers
    Imbuya wings
    2 truss rod's
    *no case included
    All for $439(at musiciansfreind.com)
    -----------------------------------------------

Also, wich of these fine budget 6'ers would u say has the most punchy/fender-j/bright/bell like tone? and best bass for the slappers? :bassist:

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Let's do a side by side comparison:

Woods

Peavey Grind NTB 6
    Neck: Mahogany, maple stringers
    Fretboard: Rosewood
    Body: Imbuya

Schecter Stilleto Studio 6
    Neck: Multi-laminate maple/walnut
    Fretboard: Rosewood
    Body: Mahogany, bubinga top

Electronics

Peavey Grind NTB 6
    Passive Humbucking

EMG-Hz w/ Active 3 Band EQ ( +/- 12db)

General Features

Peavey Grind NTB 6
    35" scale
    24 frets
    Scalloped bottom horn
    Black hardware
    Grover tuners
    Neck-through body
    Top-load bridge

35" scale
    24 frets
    Oval inlays
    Gold Hardware
    Grover tuners
    Neck-through body
    Top-load bridge
    Case Included

Therefore:

Schecter - heavier, more expensive (about $850 Canadian, Peavey would be around $600), better pickups, 3 band EQ, case included
    Peavey - lighter, cheaper

Depending on your personal preferences for woods and aesthetics...well, have fun with the rest. I personally think the Peavey is one hell of an ugly duckling and the Schecter is a work of art, and I can stand the extra weight for the thicker tone provided by the denser woods. The mahogany neck might make the Peavey a little too neck heavy as well, while the mahogany wings on the Schecter on the Schecter might balance out the general neck-heaviness that I've noticed seems to be characteristic in the six strings I've played. Those are purely speculative thoughts as I haven't played either of them, but I might be able to check out the Schecter soon as I finally found a store near me that carries them. I'll reply back asap after playing it.

11. I don't think that the case was included with the Schecter. I could be wrong though. It would be sweet if I was wrong! And I don't remember the Grind having Grover tuners, if it does, then that's cool.

I messed around with the Grind 5 string a little. I don't remember the B string being bad. I didn't run it thru an amp though. And if I remember right, one grind had a good B, and another had an "Okay" B.

I wonder if there is anything you can do to tighten up a floppy B? Maybe different brand stings, or a heavier gauge? Taper wound? What about the way it's wound around the post?

12. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    I hate gas... then again, I also hate my current bass...

anyway..

[​IMG]
    I think ol Greg Curbow is about to get a phone call for one of these in burl with us bart's and a hard shell case...

*btw, this is a bump :)

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The case may not be included, but it didn't say otherwise...also, the Peavey might not have Grover tuners. I wrote that up really quick, as the bed was demanding I go to sleep.

14. BEWARE!!!!! I just sent one of these POS basses back to musicians friend where it came from last week. The very day after I received it. The second I took it out of the box a pickup screw popped out. I basically came to the conclusion that Vietnamese folks aren't so good with screwdrivers when I discovered that the truss rod cover screws didn't actually sink into wood at all. They landed straight into the poorly slotted truss rod routes. Aside from being THE worst constructed bass I've ever put my penny-pinching mits on, it sounded like pure crap. Pure crap! But I digress.
    BTBs are okay as long as you have enough headroom in your amp to really crank because of their typical weak Ibanez output. I'd go with the Schecter.

15. Man I played on of those Grind Sixers today for about a half hour, and was blown away. I really like the action, tone, and looks. All this for $389 at my local shop.

I've heard of spotty quality issues with these, you must of had one of the bad ones. The one I was playing was Awesome!

16. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    yeah I too have heard that the quality controll sux for these basses. Some come out great and some come out like crap. If I end up somehow getting one.. It would be one I pic up at a store. I would not be ordering one of these things. true shame though. They could be some really bad ass basses.. :(

But then, now I am looking at the cort curbow 6. So if anyone has an opinion on one of these... :)

17. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Does the Cort Curbow hav a Bartolini MK-1 Pup? Is it in that 'sweet spot'? If so, I would just buy it, then get a good MM style Pup and have it replaced, or Maybe upgrade to a MM style up, and a Jazz Pup in the neck + a decient Preamp, that way you cold get a 'decient' bass, and you can make it a pretty good one.

I cant find the link, But I remember some story about a guy that had an Essex and then got Custom Pups (Think Custom Wound Nordstrand style) and a Custom made Bird's Eye Maple Neck, then he shaved the body a little to make it (to him at least) ULTRA comfortable, and with like $700 into a $130 (or so) bass it was comporable to a $2,000 bass or so, that would be a great idea to try with the Cort Curbow. I'd say buy one used, SLOWLY (or as fast as you can afford) Fix it up like Crazy...

18. MyNameIsMUD

MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    yeah it has the mk1, and yup it's in the sweet spot(or so I've read).
    I have heard they have done some changes over the years to these to make them better, not only electronic's but something about the lathite(sp?) mixture and neck to make them a little more durable. At least this is what i somewhat remember after browsing threw 15thousand pages of cort curbow threads...
    Unless I can get a banging deal on one used I think I will just get a new one for the lifetime warranty.
    but then again, those burl's are getting harder to find... :drool:

I am definitely looking at this as something to hotrod but before I can decide on what it is I want for it I will need to test it out on my own rig and get a feel. That and I really dont know much about pre-amp's and what not to make a even begine to say what I shall do to her, but rest assure, I will do her.... ;)

*I also remember somethign about the pickups in the cort curbow's being a different size dimention then the US bart's. But I think Curbow himself replied to that thread I saw it in but I dont remember what he said. Guess, I get to browse around summore :D

I wish you could find that link about the guy who hotrodded his essex. That gives me some inspiration (and gas o_O)

hehe, I am getting kinda excited about this. I cant imagine how some of you guys feel when ordering a custom bass.
    :hyper: