Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Experiences with Fender Custom Shop Classic Jazz 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Mar 23, 2005.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you know, the one with block and inlays? haven't seen one around, but they look SWEET. Anyone have any feedback?
    [​IMG]

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That looks extremely nice

Even most of the boutique jazz-makers don't make a bass this sweet!

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    I have found that FOR ME, the Fender basses do the Fender tone best
    ( duh! )
    i have heard that the custom shop stuff is as nice as anything out there. I even love the Fender American Deluxe Jazz, but i am a sucker for binding and inlays since i am a child of the 70's.
    I prefer the Ash bodies with the trans finish, the solid color ones are alder, but they look great and i bet they sound fantastic. and it's a Fender! :hyper:
    but i have not met ONE player who has one... :confused:

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    oops! no binding.
    still, i love the block inlays

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Peter Duncan used to have a couple of Fender Custom Shop basses, I don't know if he still has them, or if he is still alive, but I know he ordered at least two or three of them once he realised that Zon's were not the only usable bass on the planet.

I am not sure if he uses any discussion forums now (he might be banned from all of them), but I know he and Steve Barr had a decent relationship so you may be able to get in touch with Peter through Dude. His website was www.peterduncan.net, but im not sure if its still up.

6. That bass is B.A. Baracus! I would love to see a white one with a red tort guard in a 4 string!!!!!

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    ok, splain B.A.Baracus - i am not from here :)

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    [​IMG]

I pity that fool who doesn't know who BA Baracus is.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    im the fool! hey- i have worked with that guy! he does a gig in Vegas! LOL

10. The FMT's have block inlays AND binding if that's your thing (It's my thing now. I LOVE inlays.) I'm sure that bass plays like a king of 5's.

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    ahh, yes.. but silly me likes Ash and the old style pickguard and control plate... what a PITA! ;)

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm right there with you Adrian. That bass looks killer!

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Adrian

You can get an Ultra Vintage Metro just like that with a whole lot of quality to it. :) :hyper:

14. MAJOR METAL

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    yes we know... but Adrian did say in his experiences, nothing does Fender better then Fender.

plenty of Boutique players in the "new vintage" market

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    MM, alas, there will be no Sadowsky in my future.
    Also, something really cool about having at least one bass with the Fender logo on the headstock.
    There are many good Fender style basses. Heck, I am dealer for a couple of GREAT Fender style basses, still I love the tone on the Fenders- i have heard their noiseless pickups calles " toneless pickups" and have had friends refer to the preamp as Dog***t - so if i went by that, i would never consider it. But the truth is, when i pick one up, it does it for me. A good workhorse bass in the old school flavor. LOVE my F and Nordstrand, but there are times when the Fender is PERFECT -
    Even if i considered Sadowsky, i find the Custom Shop Fender considerably more affordable, not that it is a deciding factor.

17. MAJOR METAL

Adrian

What ever makes you happy and helps you Rock is whats importent. Have a Blessed Easter my Brother in Christ. :)

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    same to you, brother. In Christ, - Adrian
    Happy easter!

19. As far as I know, it has the same preamp and pickups as the American Deluxe J (which equals VERY good!) and I've heard lots of good things about custom shop Fenders.

20. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Hey Adrian, I've played two custom shop fives, one was a Candy apple with matching headstock with a Mike Pope Pre, Maple Board. I would not lose a beat if I broke a string on my Metro and picked that one up! Sweet Bass...... The other one is was identical to the one in the picture only in like a sea foam green, A total dud! It had workmanship issues I wouldn't tolerate on a Mexican Fender, neck Gap, slopppy fret work, needed set up bad (not at a GC) I've played a total of 8 custom shop Fenders (including 4's), 5 were very good, equal to rogers basses, 3 were mediocre and not very impressive. The consistancy out of the custom shop does concern me, ecspecially when you look at price, not one of these basses was less then 2200 (street price). If you find a good one go for it, but look close. Also after my last resale experience with an American Deluxe I'm a little afraid of all of them but the MIJ's which seem to hold value far better then the MIA's. By the Way, I just checked out Mikebasses F (your old one) what were you smoking when you sold it ! Just Kidding that is one beautiful bass, I'd be scarred to take it out of the glass showcase! Your Frettless F soundsgreat, and so did your playing on that sample! IMO