Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Experiences with OMNI 10 ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    any real life experiences with the omni 10? how about 1/2 omni 10 (single 10" in 1/2 the size) ?

looking for input on its usefulness , or 2 separate o10-1/2's, as a ministack for elctric bass playing rock at moderate volumes with FOH support. Can i get SPL approaching, say, 2 gs112's?

whats the frequency cutoff on the high end of things if you forgo the tweeters?

thanks.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Must not be many of these in around? I was hoping to see some info here too, since Bills forum isn't as bass oriented as TalkBass (ya think??).

Since I'm working so many hours these days and have limited time for projects, and since I generally seem to like "not usual" things, I bought Bills Omni 10 prototype from him and expect to have it soon.

I'll be happy to share my findings after I get the cab, but I have pretty limited experience with different cabs so I was hoping to see what some more experienced folks had to say about the cab relative to others they've used. I'm pretty excited about getting the Omni 10, and would welcome the chance to meet some of the Northern DFW Metroplex TBers and have them play through it and review it for everyone here.

[​IMG]

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's a truly invative and solid design. You won't find any commercial cabinets that come close this and other of Bill's designs.

I don't think you'll get a lot of discussing here because it just it just doesn't look like what typical bass player would use.

It also not designed to be colored in its sound like typical commercial cabinets. You wouldn't plug it in and notice some special coloration that some would say "fill_in_the_blank sound". You'd tweak your signal processing/EQ to get "fill_in_the_blank sound".

I'd like to see your results. I bet you find it far superior to anything you can buy. And I bet you find it equally hard to convince some that it's superior to their expensive cabinets they've purchased. Bill publishes measurements, where others don't so they'll be hard to fairly compare. (unless you measure both)

If you're good at building them, work with Bill to build a few more and sell them. For the price/weight/performance they'll be a hot item if you can persuade a few buyers.

5. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I personally build very few retail cabs, I just don't have the time to devote to it. Most of what I sell are prototypes like this one. I do have a network of approved builders of my stuff here:
    http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/builders.html
    for those who aren't able to build their own.

6. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    OK, last question on this.

being completely unfamiliar re horns, is the high frequency end of thngs attentuated in any way? for instance, If the bass driver is listed as +- 3 db from 50 to 4k hz from the manufacturer, will horn loading it reduce the useable high end substantially? ( i had been told this by someone, but frankly their credibility is in question).

"If you're good at building them, work with Bill to build a few more and sell them. For the price/weight/performance they'll be a hot item if you can persuade a few buyers."

i think we have the cart well ahead of the horse on that one!

7. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Yes and no. First, there are no prosound drivers that even come close to that response. Prosound drivers tend to be very efficient but to get that efficiency they have weak bass response, and that's where horn loading is the most helpful. It is true that horn loading which accentuates the bass does so at the expense of the high end, acting as a low pass filter, but since pro-sound drivers tend to have rising response curves anyway the end result is an overall flattening of response. Even if the high end is reduced somewhat in sensitivity it's a small price to pay. HF response can be restored with EQ with minimal power demand from the amp, power that is saved in the low end on average by a factor of eight by the increased sensitivity in the low end that the horn gives.

8. I have four Rockford RFR-2210 10" subs intended for tiny sealed boxes in auto sound applications. With a sensitivity of 85 SPL, it doesn't make very much noise at all. Outside of a car, they are useless in a vented or sealed cabinet.

For comparison purposes, I built a correctly designed SBB4 aligned cab as a reference. Moving the same driver from the vented cab into a Tuba 24 causes the house to shake.

As a further test, I bi-amped it with my son-in-laws Ampeg B4R and 610HLF cab. The Tuba 24 and car sub not only keeps up with the Ampeg, but adds a bottom that is completely missing from the 610HLF by itself.

The Tuba 24 is a different animal than the Omni 10, for sure. The horn length is longer, and the mouth is larger. The point being made is, Bill's designs work. I'm sure the Omni 10 will deliver its claimed results. It is up to the owner to decide if those results are the ones desired.

I need a Tuba 36...

:D

9. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    I am completing my first Omni10, and a Tuba 24 to use with bass guitar, and after I build another set, as an occasional PA system. I wish I had the skills/tools to build a DR250, but will tackle that in the near future. I should have both cabs completed this week,will invite a couple of TB members over to have them listen, will let you know what we thought of it/them. MY

10. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Please do let us know here indeed :hyper:. I've been lurking at Bill's pages for a while, and consider building some of his designs as soon as time permits. Among the candidates is a 1/2 size Omni 10 for bass. Tuba 18, 24 and Autotuba are tempting as well. And I just don't have the guts (yet?) to try a DR.

11. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

i guess that gets to the heart of it.

i look forward to responses from those who have used them, especialy as they relate to comparisons to common cabs.

12. I recently picked up Bill's Omni 12 prototype. :cool:

It's replacing a BXR200 (200W/15") combo. In comparison... well, there is no comparison. The O12 sounds amazing! It's a full-range cab with more than enough bottom and beautifully balanced highs and mids. Very articulate. The range of highs/lows that come out of the O12 make my old single 15" sound like ground beef. There's also a very useful level control for the tweeter on the back of the cab. In comparison, the O12 sounds faster, much more responsive than BXR200. It's tight and hugh, both at the same time.

I'm in the market for a new preamp, but am currently driving it with a SIB Fatdrive into a Stewart World 1.2 which I think is ~275W into 8ohms. I sooooo love my new rig! :hyper:

Anyone who is even thinking about Bill's stuff should just dive right in. You won't regret it.

~ Charlie

13. How directional is the sound on the omni? Is there an optimal distance to stand infront of it so it sounds the best?

14. That's hard for me to say. I don't typically get more than 5 - 10 feet away from my rig. My first gig with it will be sometime next month. I'm looking forward to hearing how it fills up a bigger room from the stage. But, you could probably find a better answer to your question at Bill's forum.

~ Charlie

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I have a set of Bill's DR250 plans lying around that I'm hoping to build this year.

I haven't seen anywhere that has plans with pictures, recommendations, and specs as complete as his. And there seem to be a lot of satisfied people building from his plans.

Unlike commercial cab manufacturers, Bill seems to get to the heart of the matter and removes all the BS and hype about speakers and cabs.

16. When you finally get ready to make sawdust, be sure to get the latest revision of the DR250 plans. The plans evolve as the pro builders discover new tricks and tips.

Also, note the new Eminence Deltalite-II 2510 is the hot driver for the DR250. It is smaller, making for a much easier fit, and the specs are perfect for the DR250 specific application.

17. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Hey Bruce.

You helped me on my 210 cab speaker swap out. I PM'd Bill, but do you think the BP102 is a worthwhile speaker to put in the DR250? Just curious. When I'm ready to build it I could always buy a new speaker, but I like to have options and use whatever I have lying around if I can.

I'm getting to the point where I know I'm going to have a lot of cabs and speakers lying about, so swapping things in and out to try, will be an option at some point. :)

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  19. Thanks!

I can't wait for your review.

20. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Yeah, I hate being so far away from New Hampshire. Shipping to Europe is not an option I'm afraid.