1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

??? Experiencing more Jazz

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Rooster009, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    I'm feeling the need to experience more jazz style music lately and am just wondering if I could get some good jazz grooves to listen to. Is there anything that I simply must listen too? What is some of the better jazz songs with good bass playing in them? Not necessarily busy, but just holding the groove and supporting others, maybe with a few tricks here and there. Also I know tone is very subjective, But Who are some of the jazz bassist that always seem to have their tone spot on for each song they are playing?

2. bassplayertom77

bassplayertom77

Sep 24, 2008
    Upright or electric?
    Here are the players I like:
    Jaco Pastorious, Paul Jackson Jr., Charlie Haden, Dave Holland, the list goes on. Check out the big name bandleaders like Monk, Coltrane, and Miles. Find out who their sidemen are and explore. They're all connected somehow.

Jazz is pretty subjective too, so I guess I'd want to know what you'd like. Bop, hardbop, "fusion", big band swing????

Happy exploring. God Bless Youtube!

3. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    I guess some of everything since I'm just starting to get into jazz. I've heard some like, I think george benson is it. I like the few of his that I've listened to. I'm really not that experienced with jazz music and all of it's different sections.
    I play electric bass, but plan to play upright in the future also, so I guess it's open as far as what type of bass.
    I'd like to get a good mixture of all types of jazz and be more flexible in my own playing. Thanks for the info by the way.

4. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Mingus is one of my favorite bass players. Definitely check him out.

Btw, you might get more bites on the DB Jazz forum...

5. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Thanks Slax, I'll check it out.

I'd still like to learn about the genre through other bass players perspectives though, so everyone feel free to help me out if you don't mind. I value your oppinions keep them coming. Thanks again guys

6. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

7. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Thanks I'll checkem out

8. StartStop

StartStop

Sep 16, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Ron Carter and Paul Chambers are two great ones to check out.

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    John Patitucci, Miroslav, NHOP.

10. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    Seeing Christian McBride again at the Monterey Jazz Festival last weekend reminds me that he is one of the best of today's jazz bassists.

Wally

11. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Haitian Fight Song - Charles Mingus

Best place to start.