Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EXPERIMENT!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Masamax, Dec 25, 2003.

1. WARNING: CRAZY CRAP FOLLOWS. PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE!

Okay, so as a crazy teenage experiment, me and my friend have the following plan:

1) Cut up his crappy guitar and take out one of the pickups

2) Obtain a very poor quality bass

3) Take pickup from bass and put in guitar and pickup from guitar and put on bass. Duct tape may likely be required.

So my question is has anyone ever done this and if so how did it sound? We are anticipating it sounding terrible, counting on it even.

2. Hmm, where to start.

1. "Cutting" his guitar= bad idea. If you want to take the pickup out, a screwdriver will work just fine.

2. Simple enough.

3. Yeah, assuming that by the grace of the lord you can sodder and get the right wires to the right places you would end up with two horrible sounding instruments. Basses= big fat sound, accented lows, low mids and such. Guitars= octave up from bass, pickups are going to be geared towards reproducing a cutting trebly sound.

Some other things to think about: Bass pickup is not going to fit in guitar and vice versa without some routing- and by the way, there is a difference between routing and "cutting" something up.

String spacing is drastically different on both instruments, the pickup most likely won't sense strings properly, resulting in the aformentioned sound of ASS.

Im sure I could think of more, seeing how Im so bored I responded in spades to this question. My apologies if it seems sarcastic or sounds as if I'm talkin down to you, but what you just suggested= awful idea and a great way to massacre two instruments.

If you dislike these two isntruments so much, Im sure you could easily find some kid around who would love to have the guitar and bass you want to "cut up."

Please find them and give it to them so they can rock out... hardcore.

3. Bah. I am selfish. When I said cut up, I did not mean the cavity. I meant the guitar. Random shapes and such.

These instruments will actually be serving a purpose in a noise rock. We will be combining with a chair with a speaker and 30 W head mounted on it (the Chair-o-amp 3000 we will call it when it's finished).

Keep in mind we are actually expending money on this project. The bass will have to be bought and I don't spend money on random people. Keep in mind we WANT the instruments to sound terrible.

I am just wondering if anyone has done this before and can give me an idea HOW terrible.

4. riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.........t.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    get a rogue. all the crap you will ever need, all for a mere $99!

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Chair-o-amp? What the hell is that? I can think of WAY better combinations of chair and amplifier than Chair-o-amp. That just sounds crappy.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    why not cut your strings while the amp was plugged in with distortion, that would make some noise.

8. You guys should wear masks while you do it too. And hurt eachother badly.

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    epiphany... beat the pickups/bass with a hammer, that will make noise.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

So my question is has anyone ever done this and if so how did it sound? We are anticipating it sounding terrible, counting on it even.

No, it won't sound nearly bad enough. At least make sure both instruments have blade pickups, otherwise you won't sense enough strings. You also need to swap out string types (banjo strings are always good), and use a Dremel tool for a bow, and superglue a few of the strings permanently to frets that make flatted second intervals, and rough up some of the frets with a rasp, and make all the electronics really intermittent (use acid core solder), and do that body cutting WHILE you're powered up into the chair amp.

The chair amp neEds a LOT more poWeR, it's an eLectRic chaIr, right?

goOd luCK, your friend Passinwind Clause

[​IMG]

11. Oh, we will be abusing these instruments as much as possible as we record the album. Hammers, nail guns, etc.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    epiphany number two, dont cheap out, if you are going to do something wrong make sure you do it right?

therefore you will need to buy the most expensive bass in your town. about the number of watts, i agree 30 wont cut it, try 5000 for starters. lol

(old man voice on)
    damn kids these days, jk
    (old man voice off)

anyway if you think it's cool then do it,
    what exactly is Noise rock

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Oh, we will be abusing these instruments as much as possible as we record the album. Hammers, nail guns, etc.

Now we're talkin'! Get a few EKG sensors from a medical supply house, and mount them all over the objects in need of abuse. Get a small mixer, and wire the piezos into that. It's been done many times, but with good effect.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    get a flock or seagulls hairdo, or hairdont maybe, that way your band will be more visually appealing to the freaked out audience when you start shooting nails into your instruments

also tell your drummer do ditch the set and get a timpani, congas and seven special tuned cowbells (in highest to lowest order of course, not the other way around that would sound horrible)

15. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    A guitar pickup squeels when the wire moves 1/1,000,000 of an inch. I say move some of the PU winds about 1/2 an inch on every coil and see what it sounds like. For pure sexy tone go straight from a single pickup to an output jack. I played a guitar that had this setup and it was the best sounding guitar I've ever played. I'm doubting that yours would sound that good though.
    Happy cutting. Make sure you write "BALLS" in big duct tape letters on both instruments.
    Have fun

16. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I was just thinking. You should switch the machine heads as well. That would be sexy. The bass headstock might start to look like a parker if you did that.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    also you will need a flutist ala Jethro Tull