Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Experimenting with acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, I was just wandering around the house (3:20am :O) and went downstairs into my brother's old room (he's at uni right now). I picked his acoustic guitar off his wall rack and started funking around on it and got some really cool sounds -- I was quite enthralled for several minutes. It was a lot easier to play than any other acoustic I'd ever touched and the sound was very pleasing to my ear so I know this'd be a great instrument to noodle around with and record some guitar tracks with, which was what I'd been wanting to do for a while -- write some songs and record them in the school studio (I've already got some basslines written and I have a couple drummer buddies that could help me out and a number of friends that play various horns and the piano) and sell a demo. Now, the point of this thread -- what are some good forums I can check out? I know all about the cyberfret and activeguitar sites, so I'm pretty much set for that stuff, but TalkBass has been invaluable to my bass education and I know a set of guitar forums this busy would be an immense help. Any suggestions?

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    This is not straightly connected to this, but for couple of years I've been owning and noodling with some various (inexpensive) electric geetars.. But somehow never felt that comfy on them.

Anyways, I was going to buy some train tickets the other day, and I decided to stop by at a music store, and noodle around with some acoustic guitars.. And I noticed kinda like them, way more than I do like electrics. Even this $65 Squier (SD-3 or something, see-thru red) acoustic felt sort of nice in my hands, even better than some acoustics that were five times it's price.. The tone wasn't that "refined", but somehow a tad crude or edgy, yet I liked it, in a garage-rock sort of way. I think I have to go buy one.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Awesome! Go for it, definitely. I find it difficult to find a guitar that feels good in my hands -- most of them feel like they're going to break, or like my hands were 8 feet away from my body! Everything on a guitar seems so fragile -- the fact they weigh like 5lbs at most, the strings are so tiny, the short, funny looking necks...just always gave me a serious "no feeling". My brother's acoustic is perfect for me though...mmm...I need to get it tuned up though. I also need to ask my brother's permission to use it...

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Acoustic Guitar magazine used to have a decent forum - I suspect it's still operational. It was a great bunch of people, and probably still is.