Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Expert advice needed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ceeprm, Jan 22, 2003.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Got a query here

I recently had a custom bass built with a wenge thru-neck (paduk stringers) zebrawood body core with a walnut top and back. The pickups are basslines soapbars and it has a 3 band eq installed. The sound I was looking for was a low end growly sound which the bass does very well- trouble is that with the eq set flat the treble is quite harsh especially for recording and I'm not a fan of trebly bass at the best of times.... So I use the bass with the treble knob all the way back which helps alot but even then there is a fair amount of treble in the sound. Basically is their any one aspect of the bass that is contributing to the harshness??? I think the pre-amp is fairly flat when all controls are centered so it would be to do with the woods or the pickups- any suggestions???

cheers
    Philip

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I would point the finger at the pickups and electronics first. The conventional wisdom does not indicate brightness in any of the woods you mention.

3. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Yep I think the basslines pickups boost the highs somewhat but I can't help thinking that if there was some maple or alder in the body it might have a nicer top end?

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Agreed. If you've got the treble of a 3-band eq all the way cut, and there's still a fair amount of treble, it sounds like there's an electronics problem. I don't see how any wood combination would be able to cause that.

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Depends on the basslines. I you go there website they will have a list of there p-ups and will give tonal shape of what there sound characteristics are. Maybe that is the inherent shape of the P-ups.

Also Im not familiar with there preamps, but maybe there is some dip switches on the preamp, or dials that will help in selecting the tone you're trying to get rid of.