1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Expert Double Upright Bass Help Needed! Bass Identification Mystery!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by HtvikserkViking, Oct 2, 2017.

1. HtvikserkViking

HtvikserkViking

Oct 2, 2017
    Hello everyone! Thank you in advance for your time and help. I am a long-time TalkBass forum reader. I found so much great information that has helped me immensely in my playing, building, Etc.

I need some expert help regarding my double bass. I purchased this upright double bass and was told that it was an Engelhardt Bass, which I believed. I wasn't as knowledgeable then and didn't look for The Tell-Tale inside sticker. I know that stickers can fall off of bases and I am hoping that is the case, but I know I could be wrong and this is NOT an Engelhardt. Here is what I know . . . .

This bass is an all plywood base. Inside the f-holes have been painted or stained black. The back and sides of this bass are maple and the top is spruce based on the wood appearance. I'm fairly certain the tailpiece is made of Ebony. Has an adjustable Bridge currently that I'm fairly certain was carved specifically for this bass. Has X's marked where the notches were cut out. Not completely sure if this was original to the bass. The bass has Gamba corners. I am not sure what the bass fingerboard is made of. The neck is maple, but I don't know if the finger board is jatoba Brazilian cherry or not. I believe this is an ebonized or dyed black wood species. The wood does have a couple of spots that appear to be "knots". I took pictures of the back of the fingerboard as well. The inside of the bass has some white drips. Also has the number 16 I believe as a measurement number. No "ribs" on the inside of the bass.

The overall color of the bass is not so much an orange sunburst. I would almost describe this as having an overall red hue. Hints of brown stain. There is no gloss finish, it is a satin matte type of finish. The inlaid / filling does not appear to be painted on, but set in due to running my finger over it you can feel a slight raise in some areas. Almost appears to be a red type of detail in between the two black lines as well. Is there a minimally invasive way to tell if this is inlaid purfling or painted? The inside of the scroll appears to be dyed or painted much like the inside of it at the f holes.

Can anybody identify this bass? Can anybody identify the type of glue that is the white drips on the bottom of the bass and the type of glue that is holding together the sides and the top scenes of the spruce top to the sides based on the pictures?

Thank you for your expertise!

Attached Files:

2. HtvikserkViking

HtvikserkViking

Oct 2, 2017
    Inside of the Bass . . .

Attached Files:

3. HtvikserkViking

HtvikserkViking

Oct 2, 2017
    I took some measurements based on Golihur music sizing chart

- Upper Bout 20-20 1/8"
    - Lower Bout 26 3/8"
    - Body Height 44"
    - Full Height 72 3/8" (Measured from the bottom of the bass top, over carved spruce top to top of height with bass lying on its back)
    - Fingerboard bottom to neck block 16 5/8"
    - Bottom of fingerboard to bottom of nut 35 1/2"
    - Width at Nut 1.75" roughly
    - Scale Length 42 1/8" (Don't think the bass has had a setup in a LONG time)
    - Scroll to Shoulder 28 1/4" (Don't know if I am measuring this properly)

4. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I'm not a pro at identifying basses, because we only carry new ones.

But it's definitely not an Engelhardt. Engies don't have carved scrolls or romberg bevels. Hardware is wrong, too (endpin, tailpiece).

Looks like inlaid purfling to me, maybe with a painted pinstripe to highlight it? Hard to tell.

Probably a Chinese student bass.

The glue should be hide glue, if it was assembled properly.

5. HtvikserkViking

HtvikserkViking

Oct 2, 2017
    Wow Mark G! Huge fan of your store sir. I greatly value your analysis because I do deem you to be an expert.

I am hoping someone else can chime in and prove you wrong for my wallet and sanity's sake! haha

6. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Well, it might not be a Chinese bass (that wouldn't necessarily be bad if it were one). But it's definitely not an Engelhardt. I can say that with a very strong degree of confidence.

7. The general appearance, relatively tidy interior work and synthetic-glue construction say Romanian to me, but that's only a guess. It's a factory bass with utilitarian value. Play it and enjoy it.

EDIT: I just stumbled over your ad. My earlier stab in the dark may be totally wrong, now that I've seen the wide exterior linings on your bass, which is a common CCB (Cheap Chinese Bass) feature. Think Cremona, Palatino, etc.

If it's structurally solid, your $500 asking price is in the ballpark.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    salcott likes this.
  8. HtvikserkViking

HtvikserkViking

Oct 2, 2017
    Yes, I am going to treat this bass as being Chinese until someone can prove me wrong. It would not be ethical to sell it as an Engelhardt unless I knew it was one for certain. I am going to put the money towards a high quality bass WITH a LABEL!

9. Mark Gollihur

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    It's not an Engelhardt. Full stop.

10. Musima?