1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Explain a blend loop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kmk42019, Feb 17, 2008.

1. kmk42019

kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    Baltimore
    I that using a fuzz in a blend loop will make it sound better. What is a blend loop? I want to buy a fuzz pedal(little big muff) and was curious about this...

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    A blend loop pedal allows you to mix your clean signal with your fuzz signal. It's the budget-friendly way to get the sound of having one clean rig and one dirty rig running together (although, IMO, having two separate rigs will always sound better, blending works great).

A few distortion pedals have built-in blend knobs (i.e., the MXR Blowtorch, Boss ODB-3, etc.). The Big Muffs don't, however, and neither do most pedals out there.

The main advantages are clarity and low end retention, since you could set your Big Muff to have a bright fuzzy tone, and make up for the loss of bottom and definition by blending in your clean signal.

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    A blend loop is a device that splits your original signal and mixes it with your effected tone in the output.

It means, in your case, you'll hear a little bit of fuzz and a little bit of your normal bass tone simultaneously mixed together. The idea is to retain the qualities of your normal tone (punchiness, low end, whatever) that could be lost by using the effect by itself.

4. kmk42019

kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    Baltimore
    so if I get a little big muff should I also get a blend pedal?

5. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    1st, you could search and find countless threads on the topic with explanations and discussions as to the merits of various models and the benefits and methods of implementation. :)
    2nd, a blender is an effects loop that blends your clean/direct bass signal with the effected signal by way of (usually) a single mix knob. The benefit of this, especially with OD/dist/fuzz is that you can get the solid full range sound of your bass plus the color of your dirt box without compromising tone, frequency response, punch, or clarity.