Explain to me again why Warwicks don't come with hard cases?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Holy War, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Theres gotta be a reasonable explanation for this right, or am I just missing something?

2. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Cause people will pay extra for them?

3. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    Because their gigbags are good?

4. Why is everyone ending statements with question marks?

5. Ampeg SVT

Sep 9, 2006
    Because we don't know the answer?

6. That doesn't even make sense.

My Rockbag is great. Its very compact and safe. The strap in for the headstock is great.

7. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    In this world there are two types of musicians:

1. Those who use gig bags
    2. Those that learned (or didn't care to learn) an inevitable lesson the hard way

8. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    True.. true..

9. Ampeg SVT

Sep 9, 2006
    I fall under both, I wrecked the headstock on my MIA J-bass a while ago. Required a few tuners, I use the case that came with it for now though but I cant put my Sansamp or TU-2 in it.

I still have to use a gig bag for my Peavey.

I used to own a few Warwicks and only one had a case (Thumb NT), those basses are beasts on their own as I had one land on its headstock and there wasn't even a scratch.

10. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    that lesson being that basses can break a lot easier in a gig bag than a hard case? Sorry, internet jargon often goes way over my head

11. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Stuff has a tendency to happen with load out, especially when you're tired and rushed by the owner. sometimes you don't pack everything as securely as you'd like. Hard case is a lot more forgiving of loose gear in the back of a van then a gig bag.

12. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    ok good, we're on the same page here. I could never imagine dropping close to $3000 on a bass and not getting a high end hardshell case. Maybe its just me...

13. Ampeg SVT

Sep 9, 2006
    I agree. Rockbags are nice gig bags but I still think that the really expensive Warwick stuff should come with at least a hardshell case or even the Roadcase they make.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

There is a third type. Somebody who owns more than a dozen basses, and has a bunch of hard cases taking up valuable space in their home. When they buy basses, they would rather not accumulate more hard cases.

And, there is a fourth type. Somebody who takes good care of their gear, and never lets anybody else handle it. They prefer the portability, convenience, and (gasp! it's true!) protection that a good bag can give.

I own two basses that were well over $3000 new and they didn't come with a hard case, which was fine with me, because I don't use them.

15. Blazeman

Blazeman

Dec 3, 2008
    NT stuff comes with HSC if you buy in Europe, Asia or Australia.

IMHO it has to do with shipping cost. You used to get nice molded cases. I have one for my 98 NT Thumb, my BO Thumb also fits that case.

16. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    There's also some of us who don't drive, and carrying a hard case, amp head etc down to the train station isn't exactly convenient.

A well constructed gig bag can cope with a lot more abuse than people realise. As long as you don't pack it in the van with the PA on top of one, or leave the tailgate open when you pull off, good gig bags are fine. Oooh, and shipping too. If I was flying somewhere with a bass, then yes, a good flight case. I take care of my instruments, I can't say the same for baggage handlers.

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Everytime I bought a bass that came with a hardcase, I sold it afterwards.
    Gigbags are much more convenient. I prefer instruments to come naked.

18. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    The need of hard case depends 100% on how and where you need to carry the bass around. Not everybody needs a hard case, I use them on gigs etc. but I totally prefer carrying the bass e.g. from home to rehearsals in a gig bag just for the sake of comfort. Hard cases don't really mix with bicycles, buses or a 2-mile walk you know... And since I don't need any more hard cases (I have the two I need) I'd prefer not to pay the extra for them.

19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    +1.:)

20. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I like both. In the van the hard case is the way to go. For practice like using the gig bag. I do find it lame when you drop some heavy coin for a bass and all they give you is a gig bag. You should at least get an option.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021