Explain your problem with Peavey

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CL_Power, Sep 21, 2000.

1. Many people that post to this board seem to have an opinion that Peavey products aren't worthy. I'm curious to know why. I've had great luck with my Peavey equipment- both in the studio and on the road. Does the problem with Peavey come with the fact that they aren't in the most expensive price group? I find the tone issue interesting- I've had many more compliments on my tone with my Peavey equipment than of my old Ampeg and SWR rigs; and still when they realize its Peavey I always get the frown. Please don't reply with statements like "because Peavey sucks" without an explanation.

2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
  3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I own plenty of peavey equipment and will continue to regardless of what the "popular opinion" is. My sound is awsome, and i didnt mortgage my house to get it. The only thing i dont care for is their basses, only because of the inconsistancies.
  4. Mikemulcahy said:

>I own plenty of peavey equipment and will continue to regardless of what the "popular opinion" is. My sound is awsome, and i didnt mortgage my house to get it.

I also have a ton of Peavey gear and agree completely with Mike.

5. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I can't decide; I know they make some really nice stuff now a days, but I didn't like the gear that I owned from Peavey. My bass lacked the drive and feel that I get from my Fenders and the Amp sounded real bad with the volume turned up even moderately. Even still it was the nicest I could afford at the time.

Those guys seem to be selling on the number features for the amount of dollars. Unlike the "better" names you won't find them automatically jacking the price just on the value of the brand itself. On the other hand if you resell their stuff later the chance of it gaining value is less. One Peavey amp that seems to get respect is the Nashville 400; respected in country circles for amplifying steel guitar.

As always … If it works for you, more power to ya.

6. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I'm happy with Peavey stuff, too. I run my SWR Bass 350 head into a 210-TXF/115BXBW stack and it sounds great. I bought the cabs used and the previous owner removed the PEAVEY emblems. (I'd actually like to replace them!)

As it stands, nobody at gigs is too impressed with my Peavey stuff, but then again nobody seems to go nuts over "SWR" ("Who makes Swer?") or my Sadowsky ("Who makes Sadowsky?).

Oh well. ;)

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I own a Peavey Cirrus 5-string fretless which is definitely one of the best basses I've ever owned. I had a Peavey TKO 65 bass amp which was undoubtedly the ****TIEST piece of musical equipment I've ever owned. The Cirrus benefits from thoughtful design, quality materials, and detailed craftsmanship, whilst the TKO sucked beacuse it lacked those three elements, and was heavy, bad-sounding, and unreliable.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    My Peavey Minx 110 is great. It's built like a rock and sounds good for a practice amp. I have also played guitar through a Peavey 5150. Its great for playing the kind of stuff Van Halen plays (he did help design it), and gets lots and lots of distortion on the lead channel while still sounding good on the rhythm channel. I've never played a Peavey bass, but from what I hear the Cirrus basses are excellent.

Perhaps the reason why some people frown on Peavey is because of the price. Peavey's are a great deal, and some people have the mentality that the more expensive something is the better it is.
  9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I believe that Peavey products are some of the Most solid constructed gear.
    I own a Peavey Basic 60 (Sounds somewaht good), that has lived trough heavy wear.. (It once fell over the stairs), has outstanded rain... etc etc.
    And still works like new.
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They don't look cool enough, that's why most people think Peavey gear is not good - sad but true. And in Germany Peavey basses are virtually unknown - you only get to see them at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt. And over here people get better value with a Hughes & Kettner or Warwick amp (due to the weak Euro).
  11. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Someone earlier mentioned the TKO 65---and didn't like it.

Now for a different experience with the same amp.
    I bought a TKO 65 sometime around '84 or '85. I still use it as a rehearsal amp. Believe me, in the 15 or so years that I've had it, this thing has had the bejeezus beaten out of it. And it still works. I've replaced the speaker a few times, but that's no big deal.

I've never owned any other Peavy product, so I really can't say anything bad about them.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I own a Peavey TNT 130 that is 20 years old(I bought it new) and it has taken tons of abuse, the only problem I have ever had with it is that over the last few years it has developed a short where the power cord goes into the back of the amp, I haven't gotten around to having that fixed. As long as the amp sits in 1 spot(it does - at my church) I don't have problems with it.

Does it take a little more tweaking to get my tone out of the Peavey than it does out of my SWR? Yeah. but for the money, Peavey is decent, very ruggedly made equipment.

OH! I almost forgot. If you get any Peavey combo or cabinet with a 15, make sure it is a Black Widow. These are one of the best 15" drivers on the market(IMHO), and the Peavey Sheffield and Scorpion Plus 15's are $h¡t!
  13. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'll have to agree with embellisher - the 15" Sheffield is sad - It's floppy sounding, lacks focus, and it can't take very much. That is the only problem I have with Peavey - and it's not a problem - just no Sheffields for me.

On a positive note - I just did some recording with my T-Max, and with the tone controls set flat, and just a little bit of a smiley face curve on the EQ, my Jazz Bass sounds just like a Jazz Bass on tape. My T-Max has recorded my bass more accurately than any other amp I've ever used.

I started buying Peavey gear to save a few bucks, but now it's my personal preferrance :) .