Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Explanation of double stops and diads

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LeonSteward, Feb 23, 2002.

1. LeonSteward

LeonSteward

Feb 23, 2002
    England
    I read a post on here and some people seemed confused over what a double stop was and then they cofnused that with 2 note power chords which are diads, ill explain it easily so noone will get confused again hopefuly.

A chord is when you play more than one note on a bass this is usually only 2 notes so it is a diad, however you play oen note directly after each other so they ring out togther.

With a double stop you play them at exactly the same time, so pop both notes togther and you get an even more funkier sounding pop than usual.

To hear a great example listen to the verse in guerilla radio by rage against the machine - heres the tab

G--2-2-x-4-4-x-5-5--2----
    D--------------------4----
    A-------------------------
    E-------------------------

the double stop is this bit : -2--
    -4--
    pop the 2 with your normal popping finger but pop the 4 at the same time with your thumb.

2. LeonSteward

LeonSteward

Feb 23, 2002
    England
    sorry bad formatting there it should be liek this
    G : 2 2 x 4 4 x 5 5
    then play the second fret of the g string and the fourth fret of the d string at the same time....sorry i really hsoudl ahve done a preview before posting b4.

3. doesn't a chord have to be at least 3 notes?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can appreciate that you are new to this, but I think it would have made more sense if you had "replied" to that post/thread, rather than starting a new thread. Otherwise you end up with several co-existing threads about the same thing and then people have to write the same thing several times if they want to contribute - far better to keep it all in one place! ;)

5. LeonSteward

LeonSteward

Feb 23, 2002
    England
    I apolagise for making the new thread next time i know what to do.

A chord has more than one note normally the miminmum is 3 which would be a triad and 3 note chords are generally power chords consisiting of the root 5th and octave if u remove the octave you get a diad which is a 2 note power chord, diads are the best form of chords to use on a bass and they sound best using the G and D string...otherwise the sound isnt always too great - altho that depends on your equipment.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not that sure about the last statement - I've always seen it said that the most widely spaced chords sound best on bass. I would also go along with 2 notes together as a double stop or interval and 3 notes as a chord - although we've had that argument before. ;)

Anyway - the wider-spaced bass double stops at the beginning of Headhunters : "Water Melon Man" or Steely Dan's "King of World sound better to me - and they're not root-5th!