Explanation of double stops and diads

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LeonSteward, Feb 23, 2002.

1. LeonSteward

Feb 23, 2002
    I read a post on here and some people seemed confused over what a double stop was and then they cofnused that with 2 note power chords which are diads, ill explain it easily so noone will get confused again hopefuly.

A chord is when you play more than one note on a bass this is usually only 2 notes so it is a diad, however you play oen note directly after each other so they ring out togther.

With a double stop you play them at exactly the same time, so pop both notes togther and you get an even more funkier sounding pop than usual.

To hear a great example listen to the verse in guerilla radio by rage against the machine - heres the tab

the double stop is this bit : -2--
    pop the 2 with your normal popping finger but pop the 4 at the same time with your thumb.
  2. LeonSteward

Feb 23, 2002
    sorry bad formatting there it should be liek this
    G : 2 2 x 4 4 x 5 5
    then play the second fret of the g string and the fourth fret of the d string at the same time....sorry i really hsoudl ahve done a preview before posting b4.
  3. doesn't a chord have to be at least 3 notes?
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can appreciate that you are new to this, but I think it would have made more sense if you had "replied" to that post/thread, rather than starting a new thread. Otherwise you end up with several co-existing threads about the same thing and then people have to write the same thing several times if they want to contribute - far better to keep it all in one place! ;)
  5. LeonSteward

Feb 23, 2002
    I apolagise for making the new thread next time i know what to do.

A chord has more than one note normally the miminmum is 3 which would be a triad and 3 note chords are generally power chords consisiting of the root 5th and octave if u remove the octave you get a diad which is a 2 note power chord, diads are the best form of chords to use on a bass and they sound best using the G and D string...otherwise the sound isnt always too great - altho that depends on your equipment.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not that sure about the last statement - I've always seen it said that the most widely spaced chords sound best on bass. I would also go along with 2 notes together as a double stop or interval and 3 notes as a chord - although we've had that argument before. ;)

Anyway - the wider-spaced bass double stops at the beginning of Headhunters : "Water Melon Man" or Steely Dan's "King of World sound better to me - and they're not root-5th!