1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Explanation of Ohm's! Please help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5Strings_NoPick, Dec 29, 2006.

1. I have a 400w Yorkville BM400H head. I somewhat understand Ohm's but also not so much. Here is my dilema. The head is rated 400w at 4 Ohms...I understand that I cannot go any lower than that. I have a 4x10 bass cab that states it is rated at 4 ohms. On my head I have (2) parallel speaker outputs which states "total min load not less than 4 ohm". Now I do understand that if I take a 2 separtate 4 ohm cabs then it become 2ohms (am I correct??), but what I wanted to do was take my (4)ohm 4x10 and run it with my (8)ohm 1x15 cab. Can this be done? What would the ohms translate to when you combine a 4ohm and 8ohm? My main concern is that I do not want to fry my head...its a great hardworking head but the last thing I want to do is "f" it up. These "ohm" things are just confusing! Can someone help me please?!?!?!?!

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    1st of you can click on the faq sticky in my sig or at the top of amps, then click on the link for ohms and impedance for the long explination. but...........

yes two 4 ohm cabs will be 2 ohms which is no good. a 4 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab will be 2.67 ohms, also no good in your case. sorry.

3. Thanks Mike! Sometimes these "ohms" things kill me. Your answer was what I expected but not what I hoping for. Thanks again!

4. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    Ohms is resistance. Think of it this way, the electricity is trying to go in the + wire, through the speaker coil, and back to the amp via the - wire. The ohms is how hard it is for the amp to push that electricity through the wire and speaker. If you add a 2nd cabinet parallel (side by side), imagine 2 wires/speakers side by side, so it's half the resistance (like 2 garden hoses side by side flowing twice as much water), or half the ohms/resistance. A dead short (great big wire bridging the + to the - is zero ohms, or next to none resistance.
    If you imagine the 2 above imaginary wires end to end (series), you increase the resistance (electricity has to go through one, THEN the next one, or the water has to flow through one hose, then the next one, increasing the resistance).

5. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    your asking about "impedance" or "resistance" not "ohms" which is just a measurement...