1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Exploraudio LiveBass H-clamp Light mic clamp for bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Vunz, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Hi there,

I just received the Exploraudio LiveBass H-clamp Light mic clamp for bass (see http://www.exploraudio.com), to replace the normal mic stand I use during gigs (with a Neumann km185 mic). And I have to say: it works beautifully! I have yet to use it on a gig (next sunday is my next gig), but experiments in my study room showed that it is a very valuable tool when micing a bass. After some experimenting I found that the perfect spot was just above the bridge, between its legs, the mic pointing upwards (so a variation on the classical "rubber bands between the legs" position). The clamp is esthetically very appealing (no big or lumpy - I ordered a black one), and very well engineered. It is also extremely light: when I received the package I initially thought it was empty! (It comes in a neat box as well, which is not that important, but very nice nonetheless). It also comes with a lot of accessories, such as special rubber bands to attach mic cables and velcro ties. A useful manual with appication tips is also included.

Well, as you can read, I am very enthousiastic about this product. Although I originally preferred the mic on a stand method, because in this case no wires are attached to my bass, it is not a very practical approach. The mic stand takes up extra space, is rather heavy, and it takes some time to set up the mic this way. The H-clamp, however, is light and can be left mounted on the bass. It remains in the exact same position once you have mounted the clamp correctly. Also, mounting and taking off the clamp is a matter of seconds after the first installation.

So, yes, I am very happy with this solution! Next sunday I will know if it is roadworthy as well (although I am very confident it will).

Cheers,

Vincent

2. Looks interesting. Could you show us a picture of it mounted on your bass, as the website picture makes it look a bit clumsy, with bits sticking out all over the place?

3. Here are two pictures of the clamp, mounted on my bass with a Nuemann KM 185 mic:
    View attachment IMG_1112.pdf

View attachment IMG_1111.pdf

Cheers,
    Vincent

4. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Looks good Vincent!
    What keeps the disks of the clamp from messing with your finish? Are they padded? [Can't see it in the photo].

5. Yes, they are padded; the disks have rubber pads, and the parts of the pole that touch the bass have silicon sleeves.

Cheers,

Vincent

6. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    ...so you can use the rubberbands and don´t need the clamp anymore...

7. Except for the fact that I wouldn't want to mount the mic with rubber bands during a gig (far to fragile and unstable), and that the best position on my bass is a bit above the bridge, near the fingerboard, and not between the legs.

Cheers,

Vincent

8. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Vunz That is good news. I heard about the H clamp Here somewhere (from you maybe) and contacted Robert at Exploraudio. He is sending me an H clamp for review. I am really intrigued by the design. I love the idea of using a KM 185 or any other high end mic I feel like, both for recording and live and having it stay where it sounds best. The design looks solid and sturdy. Let us know how it fares on the gig. It looks like it could even hold a large diaphram mic in the studio, as long as there is no noise from the mount and a decent shock mount it should be really fine.

9. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Yes Vunz this is pretty cool. Thank you again for posting it.

I had been adding to your other thread, but I think I'll stay on this one now.

With Robert's permission to post this, here is information on pricing (U.S.):

>>>> Robert Aitchison <robert.aitchison@exploraudio.com> 11/30/06 10:02 AM >>>
    > Hello Steve,
    >
    > Thank you for your interest in the LiveBass H-clamp.
    >
    > The LiveBass H-clamp can be purchased worldwide from exploraudio.com but
    > is currently out of stock. We are expecting the next batch from the
    > factory in the next few days and as soon as they are in our warehouse,
    > they will be available for purchase on the website. ...
    >
    > The LiveBass prices are as follows:
    >
    > Silver & black model: £70 + £8.86 delivery to USA (Total cost $154 at
    > current exchange rate)
    > Black model: £75 + £8.86 delivery to USA (Total cost $164 at current
    > exchange rate)
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Rob
    >​

10. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Hey Vincent,
    Doesn't that off axis placement get more bleed and reduce the input? I've always had the mic pointing at least 30 degree toward the bass? It might be helpful to get one of those Planet Wave mic cables that have the 90 degree flex connectors... Then you could run the cord back around the mount and prevent it from hitting any part of the bass...You prolly already thought of these things...
    I have the KM 184 at my disposal and am real interested in getting the more highly hyper C 185. I have recorded with the 184 with stellar results (on my axe) the only problem was I move around some....Hope this mount solves the problems.

11. Hi Flatback,

You are raising some very important points: in my study room the input signal was not weaker than when pointing the mic towards the top of the bass, so that shouldn't be a problem. And as reagrds bleed, I will find out next sunday whether my assumption, i.e. that the least sensitive part of the mic (at 120 degrees at the rear of the mic) does not significantly change in this position relative to how I used to point the mic, holds.

But, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so my next gig will be the final test. But what I know for sure is that this position (mic pointing straight up) sounds best on my bass, and hopfully I will be able relate this sound to the public!

Cheers,

Vincent

12. Thanks for posting the pix. It looks better on your bass, especially with the black, a useable piece of gear.

13. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    great if it works for you vunz! can yo leave it on when you put the bass in the bag?

I also using a neumann mic (the km184 though) and am mounting it between the legs with foam. the capsule is still 2cm above the bridge. maybe that´s not the very best position, but it sounds good enough, especially live where the greatest detail can´t be heard anyway.
    But I have also recorded with this position and I am happy with the sound.

What I like about the foam mounting is, that I can simply unplug the cable, put the bass in the cover and leave the stage after the soundcheck if I have to (oh, how I hate festivals ;) ).
    Of course, I won´t go on the subway with the mic mounted, but it´s quite stable.

14. Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, this makes me even more confident that the current position of my mic will work! The beauty of the clamp system is that you can leave the mic+clamp on the bass. It is incredibly stable. Although I will unmount the clamp when I am at home (or have classical gigs), I will put it on before heading for the gig, so that I, just like you do, simply plug/unplug the cable, take/put the bass out/in its cover, and be done with it.

Cheers,

Vincent

15. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    ...yea and if a seam pops you can always use the H clamp to glue it back up.....

16. :D On a more serious note: the inventor of the clamp got the initial idea for this design from the clamps that luthiers use to glue their instruments.

Cheers,

Vincent

17. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    well, thanks for sharing YOUR experiences! I have looked at your pics, and you mentioned to put it on before you go to a gig... won´t it hit the top of the bass? If it doesn´t and it´s safe to have it mounted while bass is in the cover even on the subway, I might consider to buy it (when I have the € and there is no zvex or moogerfooger to buy :D)

OT: how´s the wheather in amsterdam, the last time I was there it was july and I froze my a.. off. I was sleeping in a tent without a floor though, and the rain, oh the rain :rollno: :D )

18. I just returned from my gig, and I have to say that the clamp worked flawlessly. I put it on before I put the bass in its cover, and the clamp remained in the exact same position. It didn't shift at all. I just had to connect the cable, and I was good to go. Also, during the gig the clamp acted as it should, i.e. it didn't move or anything. In short: the clamp is a winner.

As regards the position I chose for the mic: I noticed that I could not turn up the volume as loud as when the mic was on a stand. However, the sound I got was far more defined and clear. Some of my bandmembers noticed this as well, and commented that they could hear me far more clearly. So, despite the fact that I had to turn down my amp (which was right next to me on a rather small stage), people could hear me more clearly. Less volume, more definition. I can live with that!

Cheers,

Vincent

PS: it is raining here in Amsterdam, and the temperature is far too high for this time of the year... No white Christmas in Amsterdam, that's for sure!

19. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    thanks for sharing your experience!