explorer bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spectorman, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Anyone know of the whereabouts of a Gibson Explorer bass, or any luthier that that makes an Explorer shape. Pictures if possible.
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    They pop up on eBay from time to time. I have also seen them at www.thebasspalace.com, and sometimes you can find some Asian copies too.
  3. Alembic offers any of its models in a body style called an "Exploiter" ( you have probably seen John Entwistle playing them) which is very much an explorer, maybe a tad on the "futura" side..

just about any "full-custom" luthier can make you one, i know my local guy certainly would

Alembic shown below..

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Warmoth offers bodies in the explorer shape. Also, they currently have one 5-string Gecko/Explorer (very unusual for them, at least so far) available in current stock.

5. Gibson / Epiphone Explorer
    Dean Explorer

And various knockoffs

Search musiciansfriend.com, they sell the Epiphone's.

eBay always has a few, do a search for "explorer bass"
  6. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Hamer makes Explorer shaped stuff. I played one of their import basses at a store the other week. I was joking with the salesguy that I would have killed to have that bass in about '87. It was surprisingly comfortable to play.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Here's a 2000 Epi from my collection. This thing has the loudest passive p/u's I've ever heard. Thunderous.

8. \

I have that same bass in black. While the pickups might be loud, I think the tone is lacking. I'm looking for replacement pups right now.

When I bought my Spector Rex, ppl warned me about neck dive - after I got it, I was like, "they are crazy, this thing doesnt dive much at all." Then I got the Explorer, and I now know what neck dive is really about :) It doesnt affect my playing, but don't let go between songs, heh.