1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

explorer body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Armacielli, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Armacielli

Armacielli

Oct 16, 2008
    anybody have an explorer bass who would be willing to trace it out onto paper and mail it to me (the paper, not the bass)?:eyebrow: Any help is appriciated

2. Swever

Swever

Nov 13, 2008
    Joensuu, Finland
    I would just find a high quality front picture of it and outline the shape in any vector graphics software.

3. LOL :smug:

That's how I do things like this too.. works fine.

4. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    I guess a have a cad drawing of one. It a guitar drawing though. If you like I can check if I still have it.

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    And tracing an image does not raise legal issues for this forum.

6. Using the search function brought up this very nice full front view, which would be perfect to trace with CAD software (or by hand):

orangebass2.

7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    What is that? It's definitely not an Explorer. I find the original Explorer shape to have a certain graceful balance that this bass does not share.

I have at home an Ibanez Destroyer bass, which is quite similar to the "real" Explorer. I also have a bona-fide Gibson Explorer Pro guitar (heritage cherry GOW - wow!), which has the same great taste, but is less filling. ;) And I have large paper at home. So I could trace either or both of these for you, if you're interested.

8. Well, as I said, it came up using the search function, I know it's not the original, but I thought it would be a replica. Seems it isn't, I see what you mean.. not a fan of this type of body (to me it's all the same :meh:).

9. Hi.

+1 for the tracing a pic.

Roberthabraken, IIRC that seems like the Futura. That's closer to the Alembic Explorer with the increased upper fret access, sharper edges etc. than to the original Explorer. Me not like ;).

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

10. Me neither... but I don't like both versions.. I even didn't see the difference at first :eyebrow:

11. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    If you really want a tracing, I've got an Epi Explorer. PM me and we can figure things out.

12. Actually, the body shown above is the correct shape, its just that the neck angle is off. Thats why it looks bad (IMO). Thats what I didnt like about the Alembic also. Pu the neck angle back where it belongs and it would look killer. Oh, and the guitar and bass body should be real close to thae same size.

13. Hi.

As can be seen in this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425373

The bass pictured above is "RS Guitarworks hand made replica of JE's Explorerbird" posted by TBird1958.

Doesn't look anywhere near the original Gibson Explorer bass shape to me. Wich were 30 1/2 scale AFAIK.

Regards
    Sam