1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

exploring my options with pots.....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jacoDEbasso, Apr 14, 2009.

1. jacoDEbasso

jacoDEbasso

Mar 31, 2009
    in my mind
    Hey all! This is my first thread, so no bashing guys ;-). I have a '62 P-bass RI and my tone pot just went caput. What would be the best replacement for either the single pot or for both??? Idk if it makes a difference, but the bass has vintage lindy fralin pup's. Thanks in advance!!

Chris

2. i would use a 250k ohm pot for both
    a 500k pot would be MUCH brighter

3. jacoDEbasso

jacoDEbasso

Mar 31, 2009
    in my mind
    Awesome! Now where can I aquire said pots? Thanks for your input!

4. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I wouldn't say the pot would be much brighter. There will be a little more treble extension, but the resonance or "voice" of the pickup will be louder.

5. Where are you located?

I get all my parts from a1parts.ca

But there are dozens of guitar part stores online. Mouser, Digikey are the big ones
    Little guitar guys:
    http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/
    http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/
    etc.

Also any music store worth it's salt should stock a few pots. Pus Radio shack, any electronics supply store, etc.

6. jacoDEbasso

jacoDEbasso

Mar 31, 2009
    in my mind
    I'm in SC. I'll def check out those site and figure out what's best for me!! Thanks guys!!!!

7. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Quite a few music shops in SC. They should carry 250k pots.
    I hail from Rock Hill.
    Peace. David

8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If you're going to the trouble, I recommend getting a CTS pot from ACME Guitar Works or RS Guitarworks. They order the CTS pots to a tighter tolerance than the typical ones you might find from Allparts. Pots can be sold with as much as a 30% tolerance and the typical Allparts pots are 20%. The ACME and RS pots are 10% tolerance. Since pots can make a pickup sound darker if the measured resistance is lower than stated and brighter if the resistance is higher, it's important to know what you're getting.

9. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit