Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Explosive Dishes!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mcbosler, Jan 30, 2003.

1. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    I'm sure we all have this problem - I LOVE listening to music. It's come to my attention recently that I would really enjoy discussing some of the music in my ever-growing collection with all you TBers, so here goes:

The way I'd like to work this is by naming three particularly attractive dishes from the music menu which some of you may not have heard before, and simply discussing with you guys what you like about them, what you don't, and possibly do some transcribing if a particular part strikes your fancy ("How's he doing that?!). The selections are meant to have a little something for everyone, as well as expose our younger members to some not-necesarilly-mainstream stuff. I'll post 3 a month: 1 rock, 1 jazz, and a 3rd of random choosing.

Any questions regarding clarification of the point of this, feel free to post it or pm me.

Enough said. Here are the 3 selections for February:

1) Incubus: S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

2) Vital Tech Tones: VTT2

3) Dave Holland Quintet: Prime Directive

There you go. The floor is open.

2. granttheman

granttheman

Jan 30, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I can't say I've listened to a lot of incubus, although what I have heard I've really enjoyed. I can't say I've heard the techtones that much either, although I'm more familiar with them, especially considering Vic Wooten's in it. But Dave Holland's "Prime Directive" is one of my favorite albums. I love the way he's as much a part of the melody as everyone else, and the way it's layered chords. Free jazz at it's best, I guess. It's hard to imagine someone orchestrating and arranging all those parts all contributing something vital, but he does it.
    I do have to say, I like this idea, though. Keep 'em comin! Can't wait to see what's on next month's menu.

--The Man

3. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Right on - the vital tech tones are definitely a must for anyone into technical groove, but the incubus is my favorite out of these 3. Seems like for some reason most people have heard make yourself and morning view, but science is by far their best in my opinion. Then again, i've always prefered the heavier stuff with as much minor as possible crammed in there. The best thing about them, though, is that every single album they have is a different style of music. People say that about bands all the time; I realize that, but the change with these guys is much more extreme. They went from funky primus to an awesome thrash style that belongs in the ranks of tool and fear factory, then trippy, and finally adult contemporary. Can't wait to see what they come up with next. Hopefully back to heavy side, for my sake. Oh yeah - be sure if you're checking out science to listen for the slap lines - there's a cool solo on the first track that's almost all dead notes. Kind of far back in the mix compared to the album before that, but it's there none the less.

4. science is definitely a great album. some really great, heavy grooves on there. have you checked out "fungus among us"?

5. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Yeah - that's a good one too - i was trying to describe the style on it with the "funky primus" comment. That one and science both have a ton of energy to them. Great for drivin'.

6. when i drive with my guitarist (i don't drive...YET!) i always try to get him to put on my misfits cd. horror business is great for driving at night.
    "too much horror business...drivin' late at night
    psycho seventy eight!
    twelve o'clock, don't be late"

7. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    heh - i usually cruise to 'certain shade of green' and 'my favorite things.'

8. granttheman

granttheman

Jan 30, 2003
    Denton, TX
    So what's the next list of tasty musical treats, Bosler? I can't wait to see what you introduce this month!