Exposed core string options to achieve lower action on a peavey cirrus

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by narud, Jan 6, 2017.

1. im curious about my best option for an exposed core set. ive got a peavey cirrus 35 scale 5 string and with conventional strings and with the bridge saddles as low as theyll go, the action is about a 64th of an inch too high. i figured an exposed core set might be my best option.

i was thinking labella supersteps but in the description at bassstringsonline it mentioned 34". would these be too short on the cirrus?

i usually use hi beams so i like a lower tension steel string and with the peaveys 35" scale, id like a lower tension string if possible, but mostly need the exposed core to get the action lower.

what say you?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What you need to do is measure your existing strings from ball end to just past the nut to see exactly how long they need to be, then reference the chart at Bass Strings Online:

Electric Bass String Winding Lengths by Manufacturer from BassStringsOnline.com

I tried the exact same thing on one of my basses last month, I ordered a set of Pedulla strings and a set of GHS Progressives so those are two good exposed cores to try. I can measure those Peduallas since Jason doesn't have them listed.

3. I commonly play ghs progressives or super steels...

for the life of me, I can't remember if they work with a Cirrus... The cirrus setup does make it non traditional.

I removed the bridge saddles and filed mine down...

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The best way to achieve a lower action is to shim up your neck. Since your saddles are bottomed out, this is exactly what needs to be done. Plus a total set up after.

5. cirrus' are neck through

6. thanks for all the help guys. i bit the bullet and sanded the bottoms of the saddles.

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    good reason not to own one.

Mechayoshi likes this.
  8. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    Lol. This is what I'm afraid of with neck throughs..

9. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Well, for future reference, Dean Markley SR2000 would have been an option for a full string set of exposed/taper core.

10. vin97

vin97

Mar 7, 2016
    Germany
    out of curiosity, could you measure the action at the filed down bridge saddle (all the way from the body)?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  11. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    How did this work out, and are you still digging the Cirrus? I love these basses but I still borrow a studios, so I have not done on a set up on it yet. I am thinking of buying theirs soon though. I'd be putting Dunlop nickels on there, and like my action a touch higher than yours.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021