Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Exposed pole Vs. closed pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 555, Jul 12, 2004.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    What are the differences between open pickups that expose the metal poles and the closed pickups that are sealed? :confused:

Is it just the design or are they different in sound wise?

Here's two examples:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks all!

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If you touch the string to the exposed poles, a pop noise is made. This doesn't happen with covered.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The one pickup I have with exposed pole pieces is more suceptible to pickuping up noise from lights...

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Are there any advantages to exposed poles? Im not aware of any? I like non exposed, just one of the many good things about bartolini :) One of my basses has exposed ( Essex) and with the low tension of flatwounds, stupid strings hit the pup all the time on the E string, annoynig as h*ll., Pickup isnt that high as it is.

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i put black electrical tape over mine. it helped a little.

6. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    That's what i am wondering too, do open pole pickups pick up extra and more noise's etc...

7. Most closed pickups have bar polepieces that go under all the strings, as opposed to the individual polepieces for each string like most exposed pickups have. I can certainly imagine that the bar vs. individual polepiece thing could make a sonic differece because of the differences in the shape of the magnetic field, and it seems that the basses I've owned with individual polepieces seem to emphasize the attack of the notes a little bit more and to be a bit more aggressve-sounding, but that cartainly shouldn't be mistaken for an actual scientific analysis!

Mike

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I think your'e right on. The single-coil pups on the original Fender Precision basses (and reissues) have a single narrow polepiece for each string, and they definitely seem to emphasize attack.

9. That's right, Leo went to the "two polepeices per string" on the later P's and J's because the attack was too strong for the amps of the time, and my Wals with one (narrow) polepiece per string has a very aggressive attack.

Mike