Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Exposed Vs. Covered

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    ...for ---> pickups <---

I was just wondering if it makes a difference whether the pickup is covered or exposed. If it does, than what is the reason and how much of a difference does it make?

2. Well, yes and no, the covers protect the coils but they will make sound without covers.

Dirt can cause damage to the pickups also!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. What Treena said, keeps the harmful stuff out. I spose you could say that it'll make them a little further away from the strings but thats barely anything and you can account for that anyway, by changing the heights. Some with the exposed poles allow you to adjust the relative heights of the poles, so that you get a more even volume across strings, bit harder to do if you are limited by a cover but, again, not impossible.

Also depends on the cover you're using, most covers are plastic or wood but lipsticks have a metal casing which makes the magnetic field change. Don't ask me exactly what way it does, I just know that it changes it.

A lot of it comes down to aesthetics, a musicman without those fat poles staring at me just seems odd.

Josh D

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I hate the noises you get when your fingers touch the polepieces.

5. I find it difficult to play without the covers. I could never position my thumb properly when I was trying the Fender Sting signature bass.

6. I have one of these and I do understand what you are saying..........I have come to rest my thump on the pick guard, it's kinda strange but it works.

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. Tried that too. :D Never felt comfortable because the pickguard is too shallow (like on a jazz bass) or too slick (like on the Sting bass).

8. You can always put a thumb rest on them, they are reissues you know!

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Yeah, a ramp does sound like the way to go.

10. humm.. I thought you were talking about exposed and non-exposed pole pieces.. :meh:

11. We are, we went to the bass with the exposed pickup, the Sting bass and the reissue 51' both made by Fender,

With the single coil pickup exposed!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. yeah, and even worse when the strings touch the polepieces....

covered polepieces for me- also exposed polepieces tend to rust if you sweat a lot, as i do- I always have to wipe dirt off the neck pickup after a gig.