Exposing my Geekdom (the Star Wars toy presale thread)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Apr 4, 2005.

1. So yeah, Friday I took my Wifey to see Duran Duran in concert in Boston, and it was an absolutely fantastic show. Every song a crowd-pleaser. Great time. I said in a sarcastic tone to the Missus that afterwards we'd have to stop by Toys R Us on the way home (the timing was about right)...as a co-worker and fellow SW nut informed me Toys R Us was doing this event.... so

Sure enough I get off the Pike at 12:10AM, and look at the Wife, who woke up as I was paying the toll...and she goes "So, are we stopping (in a thoroughly apathetic tone)...so I goes "Hell Yeah", to spite her. :D

We get there and there's like maybe 25 cars there. As we walk to the storefront, you can see a HUGE Darth Vader display. I wasn't prepared for what I saw next. A mix of the finest SW geeks ever assembled, a bunch of collectors, and my co-worker and me.

The Wife soon departed from the geek-off to wander the store. I witnessed people pushing each other out of the way to get certain figures. People spewing off about a special Yoda thing that was an exclusive and the obligatory "I'm not leaving without one, and there's only 5" comments...

Now there's a little part of me that just cannot let go of my SW addiction, but I was completely embarrassed to see myself reaching for figures out of the box as the guy was trying to shelf them. I stopped after 3 figures, and promptly came back down to Earth, and got what I wanted: a Jedi Starfighter for me, and one for my Son Jake.

Got out of there right quick, before anyone else spotted me. ;)

What I don't understand is these people were buying FULL cartloads of figures. Doubles, triples, quadruples of the same figures. WHY?!? I understand some collectors are deluded enough to think that in some way one of these may become rare...but really. Insanity. I can now say I lived thru a toy presale with a modicum of dignity intact. Not much, but....

Did I mention Duran Duran was really good? I've never heard Simon LeBon sound better.
  2. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm going to sell my old original star wars action figures on Ebay as soon as I get my camera fixed. I don't think they'll be worth all that much because they're not in original boxes and they don't have all the accessories and whatnot. They've been in a box in my parents' house for years and they're moving so I had to take all of my junk.

brad cook
  4. Hey Brad, I'll buy them.
  5. What's nice is this thread works for those who just like to point and laugh too.... :D

Goldenboy: guilty as charged. :D
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--I did the Midnight Geek Run the last time Toys R Us did the Star Wars thing, but I missed it this time out.

This is a pretty good report about the big one in Times Square.

Gotta get me one a them Darth Taters.....
  7. I have no doubt I will be adding to my light sabre collection when the new ones realeased. I'm a total Star Wars geek. :-D
  8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  9. Hmmm, I'm really looking for the plastic ones with the blades. I'm going to dress as Darth vader when I go to see it.
  10. Dude, the 7 dollar ones are great. I have battles with my kids in the backyard, and they hold up very well...the 20 dollar ones that make noises, not so much.

My Daughter doesn't really like SW, but my 2.5 year old son, fugghedaboutit. I didn't even force it on him. :D
  11. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    My co-worker's housemate did the same thing, except he bought multiple figures. He bought $200+ worth. Apparently, one of them is already "rare" but comes with two different colored shirts.
  12. The bigger noise making ones hold u pfairly well. However, one did break when I hit it with another(i don' think they were designed for bored 14 year olds to beat each other in with). :oops: :ninja: :bag:
  13. That is very cool Ron. Back in the day I was a huge SW geek since I was 10 years old when the originals came out. My friends and I would take the bus from Millbury Center to downtown Worcester when the Galleria was in it's heyday to see them on the big screen. I don't have much of the original stuff but I still have the original Star Wars soundtrack at home on vinyl.

When Phantom Menace came out I bought a few things and packed them away. Might not add up to anything but who knows.....

14. Cool Jeff...glad we can relate.. v:O)~

Let it be known, I just went out at lunch today and bought more...

I got a cool statue of the new bad guy cyborg, another battle lightsaber and some little tykes Old Ben & Vader for the boy...

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

16. :eek: *** were you thinking when you named your son ???

17. HAHAHA! His name is Jake, actually.
  18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Jake Actually? That's not much better than fugghedaboutit...
  19. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Geek alert! Geek alert!

Better close this thread before it becomes a Star Trek vs. New Generation vs. Voyager thread.

Or worse,
    It may turn into a Dungeons and Dragons appreciation thread

Throw on some Devo and Weezer while you're at it. Don't hold back!

Wait, skip the Weezer. Your mom won't allow you to play that stuff in the basement, and your girlfriend in Canada won't appreciate it.

:D :D

OK, I'm done being a smarta$$.