1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Expression mod for gain for overdrive pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nic., May 13, 2010.

1. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    Well, I'm surprised that I couldn't find anything online about it. I mean, how hard can it get? An expression pedal is just a pot with a pedal, isn't it?

If I were to solder the 3 leads of an expression pedal to a jack to plug in an expression pedal, wouldn't this work? I see this as a really simple mod, with the hardest part being drilling the hole for the jack.

In fact, then I would probably wire it in series with the original pot, and get a dummy jack to bypass it when I want to use the pot instead, or turn the pot to bypass when I want to use the expression.

Am I very wrong here?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What you describe is fine. Many pedals don't have room for extra jacks, which is part of why this sort of mod is not more common. Another factor is that you'd need your expression pedal to have the same resistive value and taper as the pot in the pedal, which requires either good luck or a bit of ingenuity and hassle in reconfiguring.

Most often when this subject comes up people suggest the Third Hand expression pedal. :)

3. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Doesn't the ASSMASTER do something similar? :)

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ayup.

5. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    Ah, that's true, didn't realize the space issue. I guess it's gonna be pretty hard to fit anything else in my Distortron, maybe I'll either just forget it or replace the knob with a jack. Thanks!

6. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i once wanted this.. but never looked into it too much

then when i got my korg AX3000b i was able to program it to set the gain to the pedal. low and behold, i messed with that for 20 minutes and then havent used it since then.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

If you place a volume pedal before you distortion it will do exactly what you want without modding anything.

8. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma