1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Expression modded Ernie Ball VP-Jr

Discussion in 'For Sale: Effects and Pedals' started by Jeff Moote, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I am going to be modding a bunch of VP-Jrs for expression use – I need a couple for myself so I figured I might as well do some extras and pass them on since people are always asking about this.

I can do either the TRS voltage divider type (think Moog EP-2) which is most common or the TS variable resistor type for Line 6. Other options include polarity reversal on the TRS type, a range pot, and pretty much anything else short of a custom taper on the potentiometer or a dual output (switchable between TRS and TS is possible though, just not both at the same time).

Base price for a single jack configuration is $100 + shipping

Other options will add $10 and up depending on how involved it is. Lead time should be less than 1 week now that I have some stock of all of the pots.

If you want one right now: I have one ready to go that is currently wired with a TRS jack and 10k pot, and will soon have parts for other variants including 50k pots that are more suitable for some expression controls. If you want this one now I’ll let it go for $90 since it’s got some sticky residue on the bottom. I’ll move the jack to any location and/or rewire it for TS operation (10k TS is the Line6 spec, incidentally).

c4fbeea9.

d24df9f7.

2. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    10k one ready to go if anyone wants it, with parts for more arriving this week :cool:

3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Can it still be used as a volume pedal, or is it now expression only?

4. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    It could be wired to still function as both (though not at the same time) but the taper would not be very good. The whole point of modding them is to get a linear taper pot rather than the audio taper used in a volume pedal.

5. Markus Bender

Markus Bender

Dec 15, 2005
    Germany
    pm sent!

6. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Parts are in stock to do a few more of these. I can turn them around in a few days now.

I just finished a couple for Markus and Danny. Here's one with a range knob and revers taper switch:

381ae598.

7. Markus Bender

Markus Bender

Dec 15, 2005
    Germany
    Looks great Jeff, can't wait to get mine...

8. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yours is the one holding Danny's up there :)

9. Markus Bender

Markus Bender

Dec 15, 2005
    Germany
    :D

:bassist:

10. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    Jeff, you're going to keep making these right? This isn't just a one time shot?

Not ready to do it now but will definitely reach out to you in the future. They look great and very fair price. Thanks!

11. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I've got parts for a few more. If they continue to be popular I can always get more in the future.

12. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Jeff,

I will b interested down the road in converting mine to TRS so that I can use one of these:

http://missionengineering.com/shop/expressionator/

Here is an email reply from Jean about using the EB with the Expressionator.

"Did you mod the Ernie Ball with a TRS jack? If so it should be fine, if you didn't put a TRS jack in there you can use an insert cable which is a TRS on one end split to 2 mono ends - put one end in the input and output of your EB and it should work fine.

The only negative about EB's for expression is that they have a volume (log) pot instead of a linear pot typically used in expression pedals. Much of the action is at the toe end of the throw... the "Anti-Log" taper fixes that, but for reverse and the more fun tapers, it's still going to be a LOG pot
    ."

Cool that you are on this side of the border. Let me know what you think of Jean comments on the EB. I'll be using it on three Eventides down the road.

13. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Steve, you can use the EB with the stock pot and either an insert cable (2x TS to TRS) or rewiring a TRS jack, but the taper will be off per Jean's comments. As he said the expressionator has an anti-log taper to fix that but all the other tapers will be affected.

The mods I am doing include changing the pot for a linear taper one that addresses this and makes it perform like other expression pedals, just with the feel and construction of the EB.

14. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Still have parts to whip up a few of these. Get in touch if you're interested.

15. rottenramone

rottenramone

Dec 11, 2003
    awesome. i used to mod this as well. but i can't find a 10k linear b pot with the same shaft length as the EB one. i just took out that wafer bit and slapped it on the eb pot.

i recall vishay spectrol having a model, but can't rem the model number.

which pot are u using?

16. BroKenSticKs

BroKenSticKs

Jan 11, 2010
    I'll buy one right now. Pm coming soon.

17. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Still a few of these available, if anyone is interested.

18. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    Hey Jeff... how much if I send my pedal to you to get the mods done vs buying a brand new one with mods? Thx, man!

19. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Still have parts to do a few of these and can get them out pretty quickly.