1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Expression pedal a/b switch

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Geist, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    I currently have an a/b switch set up on my board similar to a master bypass. (bass -> mpog dry out -> a/b -> amp
    mpog wet out -> effects -> amp)

is there any a/b switch that works like a volume pedal (toe up=A, toe down = B), and if not, how easy or difficult would it be to wire an ernie ball vpjr to work like this?

Thanks
    Eric

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just curious-why use an expression pedal in place of a standard AB switch? It will take up a ton of extra pedalboard room.

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    do you want it to blend the two signals at all, or just strictly A/B?

4. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    I'm hoping to be able to phase in and out of the effects, as well as blending. I would use the morley fx blender, but I haven't the room on my board.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    For blending, there's the Barge Concepts VFB-X, which is an AB box you can attach an expression pedal to, and Wounded Paw also makes an all-in-one expression pedal blend.

6. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    for the price of those I could just get the eb stereo volume/pan and run it in pan mode to do the trick.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's not a very good one for blending.

8. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    I'm guessing that there probably isn't an easy schematic for building one of these myself?

9. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Those Wounded Paw boxes look nice-- the option to add an XLR DI out is pretty clever.

10. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    I think I might just break down and get the wounded paw. It's gonna hit the wallet pretty hard, but it should be worth it.

Thanks to Bryan and The Lurker for your responses