Expression Pedals - 10k vs 100k potentiometer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 534N, Feb 11, 2020.

1. So I bought an expression pedal to use with my Behringer US600 Ultra Shifter pedal because I wanted to avoid stepping on its infamous weak plastic foot switch. I thought I had done more than enough research by the time I settled on the MeloAudio EXP-001. It seemed to have great reviews and a perfect small footprint for my overloaded pedalboard.

Two weeks later, it arrived. I was so excited that it finally came in the mail that I immediately plugged it in to try it out, but I was disappointed to find that something didn't sound right. The expression pedal didn't reach the maximum pitch value when I pressed it all the way forward which makes it nearly useless for shifting up to exact pitches. It stops a little bit short of the max value for some reason. I read the manuals through and through and tried various things to troubleshoot to no avail. I'm bummed that I put all my hopes and time into this thing.

I'm thinking maybe the problem is that the MeloAudio EXP-001 has a 10k pot instead of a 100k pot. I couldn't find much information on this except for a 3 year old Reddit post that didn't give me a conclusive answer about it. I'm torn between reselling the pedal (it would take longer than it's worth to work out a return/refund with the Chinese manufacturer) or digging in to change the 10k pot to 100k.

I'm a little concerned about changing the pot though. First, I've never done anything like that with electronics, and second, I'm afraid that even if I did replace it, it may not work anyway, or it could totally brick the expression pedal so I couldn't even sell it. Is it worth the risk? How easy of an operation is it to change the pot? Is it possibly something else that's causing the issue? What's my best option here?

Thank you so much for your time and advice if you've dealt with this kind of thing before. :)

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Yep, a different value pot will change the sound vs the existing pot.
    Is there a sweep pot on the side to change the resistance on the side of the expression pedal?

3. It doesn’t have a sound. It’s just a controller for my other pedal. I don’t think it does anything on its own. Maybe it can be used as a volume pedal though(?) I’m not sure. There are no accessible controls for changing any of its settings unfortunately. :/

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    We have little to no issues w/ M-Audio and Moog expression pedals and both have the little resistance pot on the side to help make the sweep feel more like (or not the same sweep, if wanted) the normal pot.

5. Thank you for your insight on that. After doing more research, I’m finding that the pitch shifter pedal I’m trying to control requires at least a 50k pot expression pedal.

So I’m wondering if that’s something I can easily swap out inside the pedal if I buy the 50k pot component from somewhere. Is that something that is easy to find and easy enough to do? I have a feeling this thread will die out, but if there’s anyone out there who knows about this, I would be grateful for your guidance :)

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021