1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Expression pedals...are there good ones and not so good ones?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Title says most of it.
    I am looking for an expression pedal to run a couple outs from Fairfield pedals.
    I find the little DOD one tempting.
    I like small ones in general.
    But...will it work?
    Are there any other small ones out there?
    Thanks!

2. What are the requirements of the Fairfield?
    Some expression pedals are 10K, some 100K, some 250K.

Mission Engineering makes good expression pedals, but some people prefer a cheap plastic Moog. Some people like the bigger treadle of an Ernie Ball, or Boss while others need compactness of a Hotone or AMT. What are your needs? You say you like compact.

Check out Hotone, AMT and the new compact Dunlops.

For example, my Yamaha expression pedal is fine with some of my effects, but doesn't work at all with the Line6 M5 (which has bizarre requirements compared to Most other pedals).

Adamixoye likes this.
  3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I just had a look and it seems that all they say is CV...I didn't find any more specific info. I am talking about 4 eye fuzz, Randy's Revenge and Meet Maude...

4. So you need an expression pedal that has Control Voltage.

Hmm looking at the 4eye manual it can take up to 5v CV or expression, but it doesn't say what expression parameter it needs.
    Randy's Revenge needs a CV or Expression that has wiper connected to tip... there's a lot going on, see the programmer's manual.
    Meet Maude has much going on as well. I forgot about the internal dipswitches on these puppies.

GAS reignited. My Barbershop needs some Fairfield siblings...

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    wiper?

6. I would avoid any expression pedal with side jacks. Top load every time. 5 mins after using a side loader...you'll see why.

7. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I got the DOD Mini a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. I use the TRS mode into a Xerograph Deluxe and the sweep is excellent (my Xero is v2 so can adjust bottom and top of range - the DOD has no range adjustment). The form factor of it is great.

bassleigh likes this.
  8. Very happy with the DOD, it feels great and fits on a pedalboard. Really no downside to it.

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Can you save me 5 minutes and tell me what I might find? :)

StayLow and GentProvocateur like this.
  10. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Interesting thread...does anyone have experience with the new EHX dual? I'm wondering how it would stack up against the source audio dual expression pedal.

11. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    I’m wondering what I should have noticed 540,353 minutes ago.

StayLow likes this.

12. Lug 2, the potentiometer's middle bit that moves when you turn the knob.

pot3.

Fig.-4.

Alien8 likes this.
  13. Oz Inventions

Oz Inventions Commercial User

Dec 9, 2017
    Manufacturer of Xpression fX inertial wireless effects controllers
    Yes there are some other small ones. The following site lists various parameters of expression pedals, including their size.
    The Mooer Expline is small as.

Which ones will work is tricky because the Fairfield manuals do not fully describe the area. However, the 'Meet Maude' manual says an expression pedal, and says wiper to tip. Although this could be a TS configuration rather than a TRS, I think that is unlikely. And logically it makes sense for Fairfield to require the same type of expression pedal for all of there models and they do mention TRS in the Randy's Revenge manual.

And so logically it seems like a TRS (Tip, Ring, Shield) expression pedal of any resistance value will work. The DOD is configurable anyway and will do TS, TRS or RTS.

It wouldn't hurt to ask Fairfield though info@fairfieldcircuitry.com

Steve-Mo likes this.
  14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks!

15. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Berlin
    I've seen yesterday that the Boss EV-30 has two expression outputs as well and it's completely from cast aluminum. I would prefer it anytime over the EHX.

16. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow that DOD is nice and small, but seems pricey for what it is! The Moog expression pedal is my stand-by- it has a range-adjust knob, has a very smooth sweep is solidly built and cheap. I wish it were as small as the DOD and had that jack instead of a built-in cable but I'd worry the sweep on a small expression pedal like that could be funky- I had one of the old active DOD CV expression/Volume pedals which was similarly small and the sweep was very funky for my taste without an easily-adjustable range control (the one on that pedal was super touchy)