Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Expression pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Humabass, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I'm dumb about electronics. How do expression pedals work? More importantly are expression pedals specific to the product they work with? I was wondering about having two different effect pedals but using one expression pedal that can be split between them using a selector footswitch.

Thanks

2. like what is going on electronically?

usually they are...

regarding your example, do you just want switch from one effect to the other with your expression pedal, or you want to split the signal of your single expression pedal to be used with two effect pedals?

Charlie

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Expression pedals essentially take the place of the pot (knob) on an effect pedal, and the sweep of the pedal acts just like turning the knob. Now, an expression pedal CAN be made with a built in switch for working between pedals, you can split the signal (which will cause a slight variance electronically and sonically) or your best bet is to buy two.

4. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I'm trying to avoid using two pedals. I'd like to be able to switch it between two pedals. My main question is whether expression pedals are generic or do you have to get the Boss Pedal for the Boss effect,Pigtronix pedal with the EP1,Line 6 pedal with line stuff, etc..... Can any volume pedal be used as an expression pedal?

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Most are just volume pedals, but some pedals have reverse polarity for expression pedals.

To switch between fx devices, run from each device to the "outputs" of an A/B box and from the "input" to the pedal.