Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ext. cab for Ashdown EB 12 (210, 410, or 115) ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dhclark76, May 2, 2005.

1. dhclark76

dhclark76

Mar 26, 2005
    Ok, so I'm looking for opinions. I know there's a lot of them out there, so let's hear 'em!

I recently purchased an Ashdown EB 12-180 and must say that I'm a very happy camper. Best darn bang for buck amp that I could hope for. However, now I'm lusting after an extension cab so that I can use the whole 180w... decisions, decisions. Should I get a 210, 410, or 115 cab?

But wait, there is more to consider...

I anticipate getting a new head eventually (maybe a MAG but hopefully an ABM) and so I want to plan for this now and the cab will have to do double duty. Ultimately I anticipate that my desired rig would contain, at least, a 210 over a 115. But I can't afford to get both cabs immediately, so which one would be better to buy now so that I could also use it with my combo immediately? Also, if I'm considering a 210, is there any reason that I shouldn't consider going a little further and doing a 410? Pros/cons anyone? By the way, I'm mainly looking at MAG cabs right now.

And finally...

Since my bigger rig would be more powerful (575w minimum) I'll have to make sure that the cab I choose will be capable of handling the larger wattage. However, I once heard (and I'm not sure if I understood correctly) that if a driver that is rated for higher wattage is also harder for a smaller amp to push (stiffer cones, or something???). So if I were to get a 410 cab with a 600w rating, and tried to use it as an ext. cab for my 180w combo would it really do any good? Would the amp handle it? Would I have to worry about underpowering the cab and damaging the drivers? If so, maybe a 115 cab with a 200w rating (or 210 with 250) would be better for now.

I realize that I've actually asked a lot of questions an introduced a lot of variables and have created a scenario with lots of possible outcomes. That's part of my point in this post (and part of the fun), I want to hear your opinions, experiences, and pros/cons. Its not enough for me to know what you think is best, I'd like to know why, as well.

Thanks!

p.s. Is there anyone out there who will claim that the EB12-180 (with a ext. cab) is actually a sufficient rig in and of itself (or am I dreaming)? If someone could make a valid argument for that, then I'd perhaps only buy a second 112 combo (avatar perhaps).
    I know, one more variable to consider... but while the possibilities seem endless, unfortunately my cash supply is not, so I have to buy wisely.

2. dhclark76

dhclark76

Mar 26, 2005
    What??? do I have B.O. or something? Next time I guess I better start with a single question. Here's one last bump, if this doesn't work I'll have to try a new thread I guess.

3. dhclark76

dhclark76

Mar 26, 2005
    Well, in the midst of it all I just decided to exchange the EB12-180 for the MAG 300 C210 after all. And to round out the bottom end I ordered the MAG 115 cab, as well. I'm pretty excited about it. :hyper:

I guess these decisions have a way of working themselves out in the long run. I still wish I coulda heard some opinions anyway. :meh: Oh well, next time I'll try not to make my questions less intricate.

By the way, is there anyone who has found that the MAG setup with the 210+115 hasn't been enough for them? I can't imagine it not filling my needs well, but I like to be prepared.

Thanks,
    Doug

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm not sure about the newer models, but My UK made EB 12 gives the max wattage at 8 ohms. Adding another cab would be inefficient. Check out your specs before you decide on anything.

5. dhclark76

dhclark76

Mar 26, 2005
    The Chinese models are rated 180w with a 4 ohm load. And the internal driver is 8 ohms. So w/out the ext. cab, they are only pushing about 130w if I understand it correctly.

6. I have a Brit made Mag 200 1x15 and find it adequate for venues of 150 people in a bar with a dance floor or 200 to 250 people seated in a hall. At one point I considered getting a second one and running them in stereo, but overall I am satisfied. I think I would be very happy with your new rig.

7. I have been running a Mag 2x10T Combo on top of a Mag 1x15 Deep Cab for quite some time now and I have yet to find myself in a situation where the rig was not adequate, including some pretty large stage areas. :D

I'm more than happy and I feel sure you will be likewise. Welcome to the club. ;) ;)