Ext. cab for SWR workingman 1x15 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OrangeSun, Jun 28, 2005.

1. OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Currently i'm playing through a 1x15 SWR Workingman combo, which has a setup for an extension speaker. The only requirement is that the speaker has to be 8 ohms. As far as Ive seen, the SWR 4x10's are all 8 ohms. I've got a few questions though.

Is a 4x10 the best way to go? I love the low end on my 1x15, but the high end is a little weak and doesnt cut through.

Could I use a different company? I was thinking about a mesaboogie 4X10 because i really like the way those sound up top.

Is it worth saving up a little extra to get the SWR BigBertha 4x10 versus the regular Workingman ext. cab?

Eventually, when I have more money to really get into it, I want to use this 4X10 with a regular cab 1X15 and a nice preamp/head. So I'm trying to factor that in when considering what to buy here.

Any and all advice/answers/ideas much appreaciated!
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    IIRC, this amp puts out 200W with an extension speaker added. Why the 410? I'd use a 210.
  3. OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    What would be the difference btwn a 210 and the 410? I was thinking a 410 because then I can use it with a head on its own later down the road.
  4. I gotta tell you, man.. I tried the extension cab thing with a Workingman's 1x15 combo, and you're not going to notice an audible difference going from 160 watts to 200. I hooked one up at Guitar Center with a Workingman's 2x10, a Workingman's 4x10, even an old Peavey 1516 (two 8s and a 15). Out of those, only the 4x10 made everything slightly louder, and when I say slightly, I mean slightly.
    I guess if you're going to buy a new cab with the idea of using it down the road with a more powerful head, get a 4x10.
  5. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Maybe you can get a higher end 2x10 to use down the road.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my buddy has one. we hooked up my bag end 1x15 to it one night and it sounded pretty freaking loud. :smug:
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'd really thing about adding a better 15. A 1x15 JBL would give you the top end. The JBL is efficient enough in the rigt cab that you'd get the max volume out of that 200 watts. I gigged for several years with 200 watts and pair of JBL 1x15's.
  8. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Take your amp to a music store, hook it up to some cabs, and let your ears do the talking. It's the only way to know for sure. You know what you want.