Ext. speaker out.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by av_rockstar, Oct 22, 2003.

1. av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    O.K. 1st things 1st,
    I know this a Bass forum and I am a Bassist....
    That being said, Here's the deal...

From time to time I also play (Dare I say it)...
    guitar, Dooooouh ! Anyway, I have a Crate GR-60 practice amp. This amp is rated 65w @ 8 ohms.
    The Crate has a speaker out jack and what I'd like to do is run it thru my BSEHLF 410 cab. The power is not a prob. but the cab is rated @ 4 ohms.
    What if any difference will this make ?
    Havn't done it yet, wanted to check w/ the pro's

2. ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    Your amp will probably overheat. Other than that, none.
  3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    unless you crate is stable at something like 2.6666667 (cant remember the exact figure) dont do it. also, you wouldnt get that much power increase, you might get another 40 watts or so, but not much, and definately not enuf for teh 410.
    Mabye do what im gonna do, buy a power amp, run a line out from the combo's preamp into the power amp and use it to power the 410..
    Im gonna use my combo as a monitor for my drummer
  4. av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    Im not trying to get more out of the Crate amp. Power wise...
    I just want to run it thru my un-powered 410 Bass cab for a bigger sound. :meh:
    Straight out of Crate speaker out, into the 410...:bassist:

miccheck1516, we do the same thing w/ my Crate as a monitor for our drummer......hehe

5. I realize you're not intending to hook up the other cab for more power, but when you hook up another cab, the amp will be asked to deliver into a lower impedance. The lower impedance draws more power, and most amps can't handle the extra current....so the amp overheats, and poof....
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    he's right. a 4 ohms cab with an 8 ohm cab equals 2.66667 ohms. The amp will fry.

If your 4x10 was an 8 ohm cab, it would be a different story. 2x 8 ohm cabs = 4 Ohms total and your amp could handle that.

OR, disconnect the speaker in the Crate and run the 4x10 ONLY. That will also work.
  7. av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.

Alrighty then, I get the idea now...
    Thanks for the input. I knew you guys would clear things up for me......:D
    Subject closed.....;)