Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extend session "time-out"

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by ldervish, Jan 23, 2006.

1. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    Lately ( about since the administrative upgrade I think?) I've noticed that after poking about the site for a while, something interests me and I want to pm a member, only to find out that I've "timed out" and have to log in again. Then I have to navigate back to where I was. Same thing if I take more than a couple minutes composing a pm. It seems to me that previously I was logged in for my entire viewing session.

Perhaps you could restore that feature, or at least extend the period before timing out? Or is there some compelling reason to make it as short as it is now?

2. I just sent you a PM.

I had the PM window open for 10 minutes before I sent it with no issue.

FWIW - I'm using Firefox 1.0.5. The PM came from a tab within the same browsing session, not a different browser session.

3. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    Bassguitar: Thanks for testing to see if perhaps the problem is on my end, which it may in fact be.

For thread readers information so they can follow the test, I replied to your pm, using IE, which is not opening a new browser window when I go to the pm screen.

4. Well I just sent you another PM through IE and I got a timeout. Though I waited almost an hour. It should say in your PM what time I typed it, and what time it was sent.

5. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    The message said it was typed at 9:18, sent at 10:07 and received at 10:08.

So, we know it timed out at roughly 50 min, but not how much earlier than that. I'm encouraged to know it wasn't my imagination playing tricks on me! And I'm pretty sure I didn't take anywhere near that long to compose a pm, even a long one.

Any more ideas on what could be causing it, which could lead to a solution? If not, I'll just have to suffer through it.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I think it may be your machine. I leave TB open for hours at a time, and I have never had the "session timed out" notification. I am using IE 6 on Windows XP.

-Mike

7. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Clear your browser's cookies (In IE pull down the tools menu to internet options). Then, when you log in, make sure the "remember me" box is checked... (log in using the top-right boxes at any forum page).

8. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    OK, I'll try it. Thanks for all the input.