1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Extended E strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by kraid, Apr 14, 2006.

1. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    I just got an extension on my double bass and was wondering what string might work the best with my extension. I have a set of '92 Flexocors on my top three strings and am currently using a temporary Permanent extended E string that I have to return after I buy my own string. I'm looking for something that will blend well with the top three strings and the bass is only being used for arco.

I'm looking into getting a stark Flexocor extended E but it's going to take a little while for Quinn to get one in stock, though they said they can get their hands on one eventually. Lemur told me on the phone that Flexocor extended E strings in the stark gauge are actually discontinued. I read some of the posts here about long E strings and it seems that a bunch of people like Spirocores. Based on the posts I'm not sure if the sound will be too bright. I'm a complete newbie to extensions so any help would be great!

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

I just bought some from the Distributor a few weeks ago. Dealers will say things like that when they don't want to take the time to order it. I order on monday and get it in a day or two. If not, I get it as soon as the next shipment comes in from Europe. the Stark E is the best all around Bow/Pizz string I've ever used. I just sent a set to Arnold to put on my Prescott. Tomorrow I pick it up and breathe new life back into it. Juststrings.com buys from the same distributor as I do. Try them.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The extended E/210mm on the regular 92s set is actually slightly heavier gauge (.100/101 instead of .097. Stark is .105/6) than the standard length. That will also work but if you need more tension on the E after that, try a MPM compensated tailpiece. That will also tighten up the tension on the E as well. I may have a 92 E/C in my stack un-used in the bag mainly because I switched to all Starkes. Email me and I will check on monday when I get in.

4. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    Hey Ken, I actually have a MPM tailpiece but I didn't notice it making my E string feel any more tight. I think I'll go with a stark gauge even if the extended E is a little thicker than the regular medium. I like the sound and response of the top three strings but that E string just doesn't do much for me. I'll send an email your way in case you have what I'm looking for.