1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Extended Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Sep 3, 2005.

1. How do you feel about extended neck basses? By extended, I mean anything with more the 24 frets. A friend of mine has a Carlo Rabelli with 26 frets (a ripoff $200), but I just played a 36er in a Guitar Center yesterday. It's sooo wierd. It's kinda cool having a whole extra octave to play with, but there's only like 3 inches between the end of the neck and the bridge, making it very awkward for my right hand. If I play directly over the pickups, my hand is so far to my right that it hurst my wrist, but if I go anywhere else I'm playing on top of the fretboard and get lots of rattle. I forget the company that made the bass, but it did sound pretty nice. Anyone have any experiance with these beasts?
    The one I played looked like this, but it was a righty and not as nice as this. You can see what I mean about the limited picking area.
    W28601.

2. I find it pretty crowded near the 24th fret as it is... so I use ERBs to hit higher notes.

3. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Yeah the one in the picture is a Wal. And no matter how difficult it is to play, If it's a Wal, it'll always look nice :p

4. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    imho

let say i pay 5 string ..

i'll go 6 string then
    rather than 26/28 frets?

5. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    I like the idea of extended range necks, especially on a fretless. More frets = more fret positions = more oppurtunity for chord/tapping work. Plus, on a fretless, the idea of 3 octave slides in kinda fun. I once played a Curbow Petite 4 with 30 frets, was a real blast to play.

6. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
  7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Was the neck a custom order? Most aftermarket graphite necks I've seen had dots and 21 frets, that one is really cool.

8. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    The neck is a stock Moses model but I'm not sure about the dots, thats' just the way it was sold in the auction. I pulled out my trusty bottle of white out and temporarily applied side dots...for my own sanity.

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Heh. Cool. I'd like 26 frets so I could tune a step down but still have full range up the neck.