Extended Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Sep 3, 2005.

1. How do you feel about extended neck basses? By extended, I mean anything with more the 24 frets. A friend of mine has a Carlo Rabelli with 26 frets (a ripoff $200), but I just played a 36er in a Guitar Center yesterday. It's sooo wierd. It's kinda cool having a whole extra octave to play with, but there's only like 3 inches between the end of the neck and the bridge, making it very awkward for my right hand. If I play directly over the pickups, my hand is so far to my right that it hurst my wrist, but if I go anywhere else I'm playing on top of the fretboard and get lots of rattle. I forget the company that made the bass, but it did sound pretty nice. Anyone have any experiance with these beasts?
    The one I played looked like this, but it was a righty and not as nice as this. You can see what I mean about the limited picking area.
  2. I find it pretty crowded near the 24th fret as it is... so I use ERBs to hit higher notes.
  3. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Yeah the one in the picture is a Wal. And no matter how difficult it is to play, If it's a Wal, it'll always look nice :p
  4. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA

let say i pay 5 string ..

i'll go 6 string then
    rather than 26/28 frets?
  5. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    I like the idea of extended range necks, especially on a fretless. More frets = more fret positions = more oppurtunity for chord/tapping work. Plus, on a fretless, the idea of 3 octave slides in kinda fun. I once played a Curbow Petite 4 with 30 frets, was a real blast to play.
  6. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
  7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Was the neck a custom order? Most aftermarket graphite necks I've seen had dots and 21 frets, that one is really cool.
  8. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    The neck is a stock Moses model but I'm not sure about the dots, thats' just the way it was sold in the auction. I pulled out my trusty bottle of white out and temporarily applied side dots...for my own sanity.
  9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Heh. Cool. I'd like 26 frets so I could tune a step down but still have full range up the neck.