Extended Range Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarriorBass, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarriorBass

Jun 30, 2002
    Hi folks !

What do you guys think ok extended-range instruments. I'm a wannabe 9-string player and I absolutely love it.
    Ok some may say now : "Jaco Pastorius needed only 4 to achieve this greatness".
    I think every bass player is different in his playing style and habits and some are ok with 4 and some want to have more =)
    I'm wishing that I was currently in contact with Warrior Instruments about a 14-string (!!) double-neck (!!!!!) bass.
    14 strings on every of the two necks, one fretted one fretless. It will be tuned from low G# to high C# and will be multi-scaled with scales ranging from 46" on the low G# to 31.5" on the high C#.
    I'm sure Warrior will manage this...
    Tell me what you think of this 14-string double-neck and extended-range basses

EDIT(JT): fixed a few grammatical issues ;) :D
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Is the chiropractor included?

Ahhh, the scent of a troll lies in the air....
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I can see going lower. If I want to go higher, I just play guitar.
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, man! welcome to talkbass...always great to hear more guys playing extended range instruments...i guess you must be all over bill dickens and gregory bruce campbell...being the 9-string swordsman you are ;) the doubleneck sounds like a pretty cool idea. i'm sure jd will hook you up. jauqo may express an interest in something tuned that far down...and i can smell jt coming, too . again, welcome aboard, man
  5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I've got no problem with extended range instruments, though I stop as 6 strings myself. I'm afraid I don't understand the point of your question, though--if you already have a 9-string, and are contemplating a double-neck 14-string, why the heck are you asking us what WE think about them? It's enough that YOU like 'em. :)

6. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    6 is about as much as I can handle now. But you keep on doin' what you do if you dig it.

Rock on!:D
  7. You had BETTER send us some pictures of your basses (and you, if you want), especially after you get that 14-string doubleneck (holy sh*t, man!).

Oh, and I stop at BEADGC.
  8. Also, did you say "14 strings on (each) of the two necks", making.......dear God............

28 STRINGS!

Again, holy sh*t, man!
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    C# above high-guitar E. On a 31.5" scale. Nope. I don't think you could even do it with a 24" scale. Even the G# below it isn't gonna happen with a scale that long.
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No offence intended, but am I the only one who thinks his profile reads a little fishy?
  11. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, we didn't really hear the details of the configuration on the 14-strings, so maybe they'd be doubled (+octave) 7-strings. Otherwise, yeah, you're right, that's pretty darn high! I think 11 strings is about the biggest I've heard of.

12. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    No they're not doubled, 14 strings from G# to C# is

G# C# F# B E A D G C F A# D# G# C#
  13. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    You're right--my eyes glazed over after the "14-string double-neck" part. Once you throw in the the fanned-fret part with a longest scale length of 46" and a difference in scale of over 14" fromthe bottom to the top, it starts to sound even more improbable....

14. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Is'nt low F# considered only semi audible? wouldent the low C# and G# be totally inaudible, and what would you use for an amp/cab that would go down that low:confused:
  15. anyone else reminded of the "just got my fedora" thread a while back?
  16. That was certainly my thought - isn't a low B around 32 hz? Going over an octave below to a low G#?

17. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    *sniffs air*

Am I near a port?

No offence intended if you really do own all of that stuff.....but like mentioned before, it seems a bit fishy.
  18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hmm, original poster hasn't been back to this one.

I dunno, WarriorBass, this all sounds a bit fishy to me too. If you are a troll, please do not go any further with this. If you are indeed sincere about all of this, I apologize in advance for accusing you of being a troll. Of course, pics of your 9 string would help to clear the air a bit.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.