Extended warranty worth the money?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brianpfitz, Dec 28, 2004.

1. brianpfitz

Dec 22, 2004
    Boston, Mass
    You know, what stores offer when you're buying new or used equipment from them. The plan extends the manufacturer's warranty by one to two years and supposedly covers everything the original warranty does not. Worth it or skip it? Many thanks!

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've read that you should never purchase the warrenties, but I got bit in the butt not too long ago when I purchased an MP3 player at Best Buy where I didn't buy the warrenty and should have. I basicly bought a unit that worked for 4 months and stopped working. Best Buys in-store deal gives you 30 days, and the manufactures warrenty was 90, and mine stopped working just after that date. Best Buy wouldn't do anything, but if I had the warrenty, they would have had to upgrade me to the unit, so they say. I don't know, I still say it's better to not buy those warrenties.
  3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I usually skip these due to my being cheap, unless I think the item's likely to need it, such as a used tube amp that looks a little beat. At one of the chain stores I frequent, I have a good relationship with one of the managers, and I've bought them from him once or twice when he's made me an especially good deal or gone above and beyond in service. It helps him look better sales-wise, and that has to help the relationship. Now he handles all my sales, not one of the revolving-door sales kids, usually gets me a better than posted price, and knows the sort of stuff I'm interested in. IMO having a good business relationship with 1 salesguy you can trust (well....for a sales guy) is worth it.

My experience at Guitar Center has been that if an item needs repair soon after purchase, they send it to their local guy, who around here is clueless (not only did he not fix the problem, he changed a part that was working fine and billed the store) but if it falls under the extended, it gets shipped out to someone more competent.

It also depends on store policy. How long can you return an item after purchase if it's found to be defective? If seems like a long enough time, it's less important. In any case, it's somewhere between paying for insurance, and a waste of money, depending on how look at it (and if the item breaks).
  4. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    It's pure profit. Their warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on. I fix all my own stuff. If you have access to a soldering iron, a bit of solder, and a full woodworking shop, there's not much you can't fix.
  5. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

Who is offering an extended warranty? I've never heard of this on basses before. No way, I would never buy this. Sounds like an easy way for the store to make a buck off unsuspecting newbies.
  6. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I dont buy those extended warranties either, though the sam ash near me offers a plan to pay a one time fee (like 70 bucks)
    and get 2 Setups a year for two years. so 4 setups for 70 bucks over the course of 2 years, not a bad deal for a professional setup