Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extending a bass' scale length

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 24, 2004.

1. I am interested in getting a particular 5-string bass, and it has a 34" scale. This will probably give it a floppy B-string. Is there a bridge I can buy or a way I can reposition the existing bridge to bring the scale length to 35" so that the B-string will be tight?

The following link has pictures of this bass:

[​IMG]

Would it work to use indi-bridges like in this next link?

[​IMG]

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You can't extend a bass's scale unless you redo the frets as well. 34" scale doesn't always mean a floppy B string, and 35" doesn't mean a tight B string.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    How can they sell them for that. :eyebrow: I can't buy the parts for that price.......Sort of discouraging :bawl:

4. Tom, that's a Rondo product. They've got links in the Aisian guitar scene and they can get stuff pretty cheap. But Rondo seems to take a little more interest in what they do than most carload importers. Just look at the Essex Megathread to see how they work. Kurt is great and I've bought instruments and parts from him and always been satisfied. I don't begrudge him making his money because he really does it the right way. Besides, I like his basses. :D

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Essex Megathread? They sell parts? :hyper: link please? :D