1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Extending a string (prepare for a weird question)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thewildest, Jun 25, 2016.

1. thewildest

thewildest Supporting Member

May 25, 2011
    Florida, USA
    Dear TB's,

I am the happy owner of an 8-string, fanned frets creation by the amazing Uruguayan Luthier Alvaro Pacello. I am also a fan of DR's Black Beauties, which, certified by DR, they go as far as 6 string sets. The bass is tuned BEADGCFBb. They don't do custom sets

I tried being ingenious and got me a guitar 6 string set, hoping to patch a full 8 set by adding the two higher strings (F and Bb)

The problem is that the 1st (Bb) is long enough, whereas F comes 1/2 inch away from the tuner.

Some of us have patched strings out of necessity at some point, particularly if you are short on $ to get you a new set. Do any of you have, other than turning the strings on themselves like a hook, some unknown method that would allow me to extend a string? The "patch", of course, will be between the nut and the tuner.

Any crazy ideas welcome. A photo of this amazing bass attached, I am using a borrowed Conklin string in the meantime. image.jpeg

2. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Krappyguitars
    If i remember correctly Krappy used to sell string extenders, little double clamps, to help people use guitar strings on his amazing touchguitars. However i can't see them on the site currently.

thewildest likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You should be able to do it with a small nut and bolt, maybe add a couple of lock washers. Twist both string ends around the bolt and tighten to hold in place.

thewildest likes this.
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Tiny cable clamps??? They come in stainless....

AVS_SWRC187P6.jpg

thewildest likes this.
  5. subdude67

subdude67

Jan 18, 2010
    Kenya
    I would use the smallest crimping sleeve you can find, if necessary fold the string ends a couple of times before inserting them into the sleeve
    crimping sleeves.jpg

thewildest likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021